Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Life is short, handle with prayer

Best bumper sticker today: "Born OK the first time." I was tickled pink!

Wednesday used to be the night Lily did laundry, but now that I'm taking this writing class Monday nights, we've switched. The weather made me stop and get a fish filet at McD's (I hate traffic, and I hate traffic and I hate snow and traffic.) (I don't take the back roads when it snows, just do the math.) So anyways, sitting in the parking lot, thinking my head is about to explode because the teenagers in the library are insane, plus a boy scout troop showed up needing books on Gray Wolves and Bald Eagles...I called Emily. Wow. I vented, she vented, I vented, she vented. I don't think either of us realized how much we needed to vent. It's hard work being single at 30+. She's going to a wedding this weekend, I'm going to a women's retreat. We were feeling the Devil breathe down our necks about who we'd run into at our respective social outings. So we sat there on the phone and prayed. I swear, praying friends are the best kind. If you find one, don't ever ever let her go! Then I drove to Lily's, listening to Jim Collins talk about Level 5 Leaders in "Good to Great." We went to Panera, and I tried to explain to her why Something Borrowed is such a great book. Now, Lily is one of those people that doesn't read Harry Potter because she thinks the books are getting kids interested in witchcraft. I don't argue with the woman, it's easier not to. So me telling her that I'm finding redemption in a book about a woman sleeping with her best friend's fiance is not scoring me any points. (Open mouth, insert foot.) Tonight she told me that the Lord brought her into ministry using the book of Ezekiel, where the Lord says to Ezekiel, "If I tell you a man is going to die because of his sins and you don't tell him I said this and he then *does* die from his sins, his blood is on your hands." Oh. Okay. Well then. That explains a lot. But let me tell you, we prayed too, and stuff came out in our prayers that did not come out in our conversation, and when we stopped praying I said, you know, I forgot to mention this issue, I really need to pray about that, and we prayed some more. What else happened tonight? A friend I was really mad at emailed me, and I ran into a woman who told me about a writing workshop at a nearby church with Lauren Winner. Yeah, um, THANK YOU ABBA for the harvest of today!! Oh, and when I went to the website for the church, I saw that a former roommate that also attends that church just had a baby, on Bep's birthday (Jan. 3) This is where you would cue that chorus of Handel's that goes "Hallelujah..."

2 comments:

Joke said...

Every time someone uses "Abba" in this context, I have to remind myself it is NOT in reference to that Swedish pop group.

-J.

Erin said...

LOL! Yea, we do have a lot in common. I look forward to reading more... :)