Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I heart Queen Latifah!

A quote from Last Holiday: "If you're reading this, my disease has taken its course. I want to be cremated. I spent my whole life in a box, I don't want to spend [the rest of my time] in one." The brackets are b/c I don't remember the *exact* quote, just the gist.

I was a goody two shoes until my senior year of high school. I blame Susan Fry. No, I did it on my own, she was just the best side-kick a girl could ever ask for (and still is--I love ya, babe!). I rebelled quietly during high school by watching soap operas (which my mother strictly forbade) and staying up to watch Moonlighting with the babysitter (who sat for my sibs so I could go to Girl Scouts or do homework while my parents attended a Bible Study).

So it completely surprised me when at 24 I sassed at my boss, realized that all the men I'd been dating had long hair, and that I was no longer a goody two shoes.

Last night when I finished watching Twister, which I hadn't watched the whole way through for years, I realized that after I kissed AJ Morning at 17 (yes, that's his real name, I think it's better than any alias I could create) I wanted danger in my life. I was tired of living in a box.

And I am. There's more to me than the pink sneakers. There's more to me than my obsession with Reese Witherspoon (who is no goody two shoes) or my love for chick flicks and chick lit. Why am I a children's librarian? It's not b/c I loved children (although I now adore them), it's because most books for adults are DULL and BORING!! I think adults so often find a good box and continue their life there. Fortunately, I don't have friends like that--all my friends are rebels in their own right. (Yes, all of them...I can see "inside people" like that chick in Enchanted April.)

And for the record, I love imdb.com. It's the movie watching librarian's best friend. I could spend hours there...

Oh, and predictions: Joke will comment, revealing himself as the only guy I know (rebel!) that loves Enchanted April.

11 comments:

Joke said...

I still get mad when I watch My Cousin Vinny. A perfectly good comedy RUINED by Marisa Tomei winning that Oscar (WTF???) over Joan Plowright.

-J.

P.S. I adored Moonlighting.

Sarah Louise said...

Ah come on...My Cousin Vinny is a classic!! It has so many quotable quotes...

Sarah Louise said...

Ah come on...My Cousin Vinny is a classic!! It has so many quotable quotes...

Sarah Louise said...

Ah come on...My Cousin Vinny is a classic!! It has so many quotable quotes...

Sarah Louise said...

blogger has gone mad!!

Joke said...

MCV is fine, but Marisa Tomei winning an Oscar(TM) over Joan Plowright has ruined it for me.

-J.

P.S. You can delete your extra comments you know.

Sarah Louise said...

Yes, I know I can delete comments, but I was in a hurry and I also think it's kind of funny how I make the same point over and over again...a little "webmaster" humor. I'm really confused though: wasn't EA a foreign flick therefore not in the same categ as MCV (or are you referring to a different JP movie?)Please clarify.

blackbird said...

I was gonna say that K likes Enchanted April but I don't wish to interrupt...

Joke said...

No, no, no.

The nominees for Best Supporting Actress in 1992 were:

My Cousin Vinny - Marisa Tomei
Damage - Miranda Richardson
Enchanted April - Joan Plowright
Howards End - Vanessa Redgrave
Husbands and Wives - Judy Davis

Joan Plowright OWNED it. Her performance was broad, majestic, sweeping and nuanced. Her access to emotion and her texture in that role were leagues above everything else.

Why Marisa Tomei won is beyond me. (Except, maybe, the Academy members would prefer to date Ms. Tomei over Dame Joan...there was a skit like this on SNL.)

-J.

Joke said...

and the category is (was?) Foreign Language Film.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Thanks for the clarifications.

--SL

uddonx: I'm sure this is code for something important...