Monday, January 09, 2006

Kicking the darkness til it bleeds sunlight

(Bruce Cockburn, pronounced Co-burn)

Every day I get an email from a staff writer from the people who put together the "Purpose Driven Life." I never actually finished Rick Warren's book, but this guy John, I like his daily emails. Today he referenced the above quote, and how we need to stop living our picture perfect lives on the outside if we want real friends. Amen to that.

So--I got about three hours of sleep this morning, from 6 am to 9 am. Luckily, my doctor and I email and he responded quickly with what he recommends I do to try to sleep tonight. He's northern Italian (he does not sound or look like anyone from the Godfather or the Sopranos) and sharp! I am so blessed to have such a on-the-ball physician.

Talked to my friend Donna this morning. Her husband has just written a book on the book of Ruth, in a series about how the Old Testament points clearly to the Gospels. At one point, Gilbert, her four year old, came on and wanted to talk (four year olds love the phone). Donna is a friend I am so blessed to have--she and my cousin Carla were in high school together, in New Jersey. So she saw me grow up, whenever I would visit my Grandma. She went to seminary for Christian Education, met her husband, who was from Pittsburgh. They moved out here and we've been friends ever since. She's a big sister in a lot of ways--there's about eight years between us, and she has the sweetest disposition of anyone I know. I call her about twice a month to just catch up. Because she was friends with Carla, she knows my aunt, knew my Grandma, knows all my cousins on my mom's side of the family. We've been to more than one funeral together. It is so good to have a friend with that kind of depth.

Joke got a word that I should CHILL. So, instead of cleaning (what I planned to do instead of the Children's Meeting), I called Donna. And I ate the leftovers from last night's dinner at the Sharp Edge. And I'm listening to Jars of Clay...

I have this on my bathroom wall. It seems fitting for the place I'm at right now:

Don't walk in front of me,
I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me,
I may not lead.
Just walk beside me
And be my friend. (Camus)

May tonight be a night of sleep.

No comments: