Thursday, December 28, 2006

This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs. Any questions? (updated)

This is my brain on a hormonal hiatus--it happens once a month: I have a few days where higher math (or original cataloguing) is just not a possibility.

So this is what I do: I do security tags on books, I sort titles by Dewey #, and when my brain can take no more, I go upstairs, where the books are.

Tonight I have brought back these gems:

The Queen of the Big Time (audio on CD!!) by Adriana Trigiliani. I love her Big Stone Gap books but have never been able to read any of her others. Audio books are the way for me to either fall in love or nix this kind of a book. (The kind that doesn't immediately grab me--this is how I got entwined in the Harry Potter series.)

Confessions of a Slacker Wife by Muffy Mead-Ferro, which I actually picked up because I thought Babs might like it. Let me know!

Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler, read by Blair Brown. This I've already heard, it's insurance in case Adriana doesn't satisfy.

Beauty Queen: Here she comes... by Elissa Stein. It's a history of pageants and it has lots of pictures. Just right for the frame of mind I'm in...I want to be sitting by a pool with a piƱa colada, por favor...

And just when you thought you had me pegged, a book I snagged from the withdrawn pile:

2002 Index of Economic Freedom, put out by the Heritage Foundation and the Wall Street Journal. This is so cool. It lists the GDP, whether it is free or not. Albania, for instance, is mostly unfree. Of course, we in the U.S. of A. are free. Well, we wrote the book, didn't we? Now, mind you, this book is three years old, but here we have Congo, formerly Zaire. Suspended!

The time has come, the time is now, Marvin K. Mooney, will you please go now?

YES! We are closing down shop and going HOME!!

*********
update: Friday morning

Some audio books weren't meant to be listened to again: Peace Like a River and Back when we were grownups are two. And I adore adore adore Adriana T., but that book (see above) is more boring than boring. So it's back to square one with the audio books. Thankfully I go back to work today.

Audio books that go the extra mile (and listen):
The Nanny Diaries read by Julia Roberts
Sahara Special read by Mrs. Huxtable, whats-her-real-name...
Good to Great read by Jim Collins, my hero!!
and of course, my namesake's book: Jacob Have I loved read by Moira (the chick from that ice skating movie, The Cutting Edge)

Gotta go! Still have not unpacked...I want to go to the Cheswick Goodwill and find something snazzy to wear on New Year's Eve...

1 comment:

Caro said...

I still haven't read The Nanny Diaries, but I want to.