Friday, December 29, 2006

Sarah Louise cleans her desk for the end of the year

WOW! It's unbelievable (well, believable) how much stuff I have on my cart.

Today I let go of the extra flyers for last summer's Mother Goose Storytimes, the Stuffed Animal Sleepover, notes from stuff, emails I printed out for some odd reason...now I'm down to the pile of "Stuff I think I should read."

A note I wrote, "scary books above Goosebumps and below Cirque du Freak."

Two birthday cards. One says, "Hi! I'm the BIRTHDAY CHICKEN!" (inside) "I'm here to lay another one on you!" Well, I gotta keep that one--everyone knows that Sis and I love chickens!!

An issue of School Library Journal from August 2005, about Blogomania. Okay, nothing new there. My boss isn't ready to let me add a blog to our kids webpages. (TOSS!)

A magazine with a business card attached--a woman who came and interviewed kids for an article about teachers--she got my permission to talk to my Mother Daughter girls. Keep the business card, TOSS the magazine!

Three surveys filled out by Mother Daughter girls, to determine what they've read, what kind of books they like to read. I could create a spreadsheet...file.

Dewey and the Alien (who knows where I got this?)

100 We think about ourselves
200 We think about where we came from (religion)
300 We try to get along with others (social studies)
400 We try to communicate with others (languages)
500 We try to understand the world around us (natural science)
600 We try to make nature useful (applied science)
700 We have fun (leisure, games, songs, art)
800 We write stories and poems (literature)
900 We learn about where we are and where we want to go and about our past (geography, history)

000 We learn about everything! (general works)

An invoice for CD-ROMs: file.

An old pay stub--file at home.

Two catalogs for CD-ROMs: file.

A report on CD-ROMs in my collection: file, and make a note to request an updated one.

Some printed from the Internet articles. Toss, toss, toss, keep.

A note: "cartoonnetwork on kid's site--get them in the door." (keep as a reminder to add more sites to our kidspages)

etc. etc. etc.

Things I'm keeping to read later:

The Media Family: Electronic Media in the lives of infants, toddlers, preschoolers and their parents.

An article about DOPA which gives internet safety tips for teens

An article about FRBR (Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records).

My primary care doctor is in my department, wandering around!

Now, the file drawer...where papers go to die.

I keep way too much stuff...

4 comments:

Caro said...

I have a pile on my kitchen counter I need to go through. It's monstrous. UGH.

Paula said...

I love to sort and throw away, I feel such a sense of accomplishment when I do.

Sarah Louise said...

Lemme tell you, it was great throwing away reams of paper!! Now if only I could be motivated to do this at home...oh, right, I need to throw a party..

Amy A. said...

Please some to my home and help me toss! I'm overcome with stuff.

PS. I LOVE Dewey and the Alien. Saving that one!