Sunday, December 10, 2006

According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Death is number two.

"Does that sound right? This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you're better off in the casket than doing the eulogy.” (Jerry Seinfeld)

I do not fear public speaking. Communication is my thing. I write, I talk, I talk in front of people--hey, I was a Mary Kay consultant! I fear not being understood, not getting a response.

Welcome to my nightmare.

I'm trying to get something started for a Women's Ministry at the OD, because I NEED the companionship and fellowship, BADLY. So part of that is starting to get women excited about a Women's Gathering at Bellefield, our mother church (the OD is a church plant). So today I had a chance to get up and give an announcement and in the middle I felt so wooden, I was just reading from the paper and I think I just lost everyone or maybe no one else feels this need to have a women's ministry. My dear friend Cameron gave an announcement after me. He had no script, he was loose and hip and genuine and everyone flocked to him afterwards.

At the beginning of the service, I was fresh, I had just had a nap. "Wow, you look rested" more than one person said to me. After the service (after my humiliating moment up front and the non-response to it) someone said, "You look really tired." Ya think?

But later, as I did some retail therapy -- yes, tulips at Whole Foods along with the milk I did need -- I thought, it's about priming the pump. And it's not about me, it's about God's plan. So maybe if I was initially successful, I wouldn't remember, Oh, I'm not the one in control here, God is. It wasn't the words I said or didn't say. If all those women that said "oh how was your Mary Kay party, oh yeah, it would be nice to have some girl time" had come up to me and said, SIGN ME UP, DUDE! I might have forgotten who I'm in this for to begin with.

I think I threw them off when I started with this verse: "She is clothed with strength and dignity and she laughs at the time to come." (Proverbs 31:25, NIV)

Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. I think it's time to break out that last beer in the fridge.

4 comments:

Amy A. said...

I felt like a dork in church today, too. Misery loves company and all that.

Just keep being a friend, you gotta know someone there is lonely and needs the fellowship, too.

You did, indeed, prime the pump!

Sarah Louise said...

Thanks, Amy!

Unknown said...

Aww, I'm sorry about last night. I may be interested in it, but I can't say for sure right now, since I'm mainly focused on school.

Sarah Louise said...

Watch the You-tubes in this morning's post and you'll understand exactly what was going on. Cameron and I were saying the same thing, but I was using the old model.