Wednesday, December 20, 2006

O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum...the Christmas song meme

From Days Go By...

1. I wonder as I wander: this breaks my heart every time I hear it.

I wonder as I wander out under the sky
How Jesus the Saviour did come for to die
For poor on'ry people like you and like I;
I wonder as I wander out under the sky

It's featured in Jacob Have I loved, which is the book from whence Sara Louise comes. (Yes, I added the h at the end of Sara, to differentiate us.)

2. Do You Hear What I hear?: I love all the parts of this one, how it goes from the night wind all the way through the ranks to the king.

3. Silver Bells (I'm a city girl, through and through...you knew that!) Plus, it's on the Bing Crosby White Christmas album, which is heavily played in the Louise household.

City sidewalks, busy sidewalks.
Dressed in holiday style
In the air
There's a feeling of Christmas

4. A la nanita nana (who knew the Cheetah girls did this?) from a Columbian Christmas album--this song is hardwired into my brain and it's not Christmas if I don't hear it at least once.

5. Pacabel Canon (which isn't really a Christmas song, but at Fox Books it was always on the Christmas music cds that we played over and over and over.)

And one that I haven't heard this year, that is sort of a wild card, not a favorite, per se, but it makes me laugh:

Dominick the Donkey. Apparently not many folks know this one but in da Burgh, it gets a lot of airplay. I just haven't been listening to the all Christmas all the time stations so much this year. It's about Santa's Italian helper.

Others I like: Grandma Got Run over by a reindeer, Trees on Fire (a parody on Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire), and the entire Chieftains Bells of Dublin album.

Too many to name.

Oh, and It came upon the midnight clear is a really nice one to sing corporately at church, which we did last Sunday (can you tell I'm into the whole ragamuffin thing?)

And ye, beneath life’s crushing load,
Whose forms are bending low,
Who toil along the climbing way
With painful steps and slow,
Look now! for glad and golden hours
Come swiftly on the wing.
O rest beside the weary road,
And hear the angels sing!

This just in: Blackbird has handed me the keys to do Show and Tell! (it was my bloggy Christmas wish.) So we'll start up with the New Year, and it will be on Thursdays. Send me your ideas via email.

But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

2 comments:

Amy A. said...

Yay! Show and tell is back. Can't wait.

Sarah Louise said...

Me either!!