Monday, November 07, 2005

Tomorrow is Election Day

And I have no idea who I'm voting for!! Luckily, I will be at the desk at the library for four hours tonight.

Easter Island is on New York time! As a world traveler, I am always excited when the world is on TV for some reason besides tornados, tsunamis, or political unrest. As a child, I read about Easter Island and it was depicted as some unsolved mystery--well, those carvings are volcanic and they depict ancestors. Many were toppled in the 1800s from civil unrest among the natives. I never researched the Easter Islands, never actually deliberately gathered information, but I was completely shocked when Matt Lauer started to talk about the local economy--whatever depiction I was introduced to as a child, I believed the Easter Islands to be uninhabited.

Anyways, I think I am going to continue on my morning as if I was a normal citizen: the grooming, the breakfast, and try to catch glimpses of Easter Island, knowing that I must be at MOPS headquarters at 8:30, which is about 45 minutes from now, giving a generous 20 minutes for rush hour traffic, I need to leave about 8:10. So...off to my duties (except that Matt just came back on...)

Here's a thought: "It's easier to get people to move a statue than a slab of rock." (Why the people carved the Moai (statues) knowing that they might break while moving it to the final resting place, instead of carving it at the site of the resting place.)

Apparently this is the first international live broadcast of Easter Island. (Because most of the other broadcasts were for documentaries, I imagine.)

So...how much of my time at the desk do you really think will be spent looking up election info? I think the Easter Islands...

"You have bewitched me, body and soul" Darcy, from the TV trailer for Pride & Predjudice.

okay, time for our local news, so I'm off to groom. Better turn off the TV (goodbye Matt!)

1 comment:

Joke said...

Every time I see those Easter Island statues I think of the vessels in which beverages are served at http://maikai.com/

-J.