Monday, November 28, 2005

Christmas Books, for Greg

Well, I went to my favorite bookstore on Sunday--it is at a Baptist church I used to attend in Virginia. I got lots of books and I promised Greg, the proprietor, that I would send him a list of good Christmas/Children's books. Hey, I needed to blog, and this way he'll get the links to the bn.com reviews, etc.


  • One Wintry Night by Ruth Bell Graham (Billy Graham's wife). A beautifully illustrated tale that takes the Bible from Genesis to at least the birth of Christ. A perennial favorite.
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey: A gloomy woodworker is asked by a widow and her son to make animals for their creche. It's just the best story ever.... comes with a cd recording of the story!
  • Jesus by Demi: one in a series of books on religious figures by Demi--well illustrated, colorful artwork, using text from the KJV Bible.
  • How many miles to Bethlehem by Kevin Crossby Holland: "This poetic retelling of the Christmas story adds drama and immediacy through the use of alternating first-person narratives," says Kirkus Reviews. The illustrations are striking, and the words are just great. I would buy this book for myself or a child.
  • Nativity a pop up by Francesca Crespi: a beautiful pop-up about the Nativity scene. From the publisher: "Six beautiful pop-up scenes portray the marvelous story of the birth of Jesus in this simple and elegant retelling. Each scene has tabs to pull, moving parts, and screens that unfold. In a splendid finale, double doors open wide to reveal the full glory of the Nativity." Can you tell I'm getting tired when I'm just quoting the reviews? But really, this is a great book.
  • Who is coming to our house? (a board book!) by Joe Slate. Rhyming text, identifying the animals, preparing for the nativity scene. Very cute book. A rare one--many Christmas books can be heavy handed with the "message," this one is just fun. (And those are my thoughts, not a critic's.)

Books that are not Christmas themed, but good "religious books for kids."

  • Walking the Bible by Bruce Feiler--just like the one for adults, except it's for kids--pictures of the landscapes in the "Holy Land." Looks like a quality job.
  • Mother Teresa by Demi: another religious figure book by Demi (see Jesus, above). The late Pope John Paul blessed this book before he died--there's some book trivia for you. Well resarched and illustrated.
  • Music from Our Lord's Holy Heaven (avail with or without music cd.) Run do not walk, you must have this beautifully illustrated book of hymns, poems--the Pinkneys have outdone themselves here.
  • All things bright and beautiful illustrated by Whatley. This hymn, written in 1848 is gorgeously illustrated. Another must buy.

There were other books there, but these were the gems. Oh, and I can't forget Silver Packages, by Cynthia Rylant, an applalachian story about a boy who dreams of being a doctor. It's not religious in any way, but it is a darn good Christmas story.

I had some gift cheques from Verizon for returning to their fold. I bought some gifts and a CD with my favorite jazz composition, Take Five.

All in all, it's been a great birthday. I think I'm going to like being 29 (for the fifth time).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!