Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Insomnia, thy name is...

Would you believe for the SECOND day in a row I screwed up my meds? You better believe I have them set out correctly and in their holder already for tomorrow morning. I even (gasp!) have clothes set out--I honestly cannot remember the last time I did that.

My mom may or may not call me at 7am--either way, my alarm is set, and I warned her that I'd call her if she didn't call me (my dad is still in NYC, no word on how the trial went.)

I started at dinner and finished just now a book called These Boots Weren't Made For Walking. Which was a fun romp and actually my only bone to pick is why in all the Christian romance novels the guys who start out as Christian are geeky, or cheaters, or boring, and the girl always ends up with the scruffy guy who wasn't a Christian at the beginning of the book, but is now? And the end was a little too over the edge, but romantic, yes.

Is it any wonder those of us Christian gals that are still single risk the risk of dating non-Christians? (Not that I base my life on Christian romance novels, but...I've been reading Grace Livingston Hill since high school.)

What happened to the robust Christian man? I still haven't finished Why men hate going to church, but the fact that such a book (which is full of well backed research and was written by a layman, not an author looking for a cute idea.)

WSJ is not easy to find online, but here's an excerpt from an article my dad emailed me (WEEKEND JOURNAL; Taste -- de gustibus -- Elaine and Puddy: A MatchMade on Earth by Naomi Schaefer Riley, Wall Street Journal: September 14, 2007):

For evangelicals who want to pair up with others of the same faith butdon't
manage to do so in their early 20s, trouble lies ahead,particularly for women.
Evangelical churches now typically have a 60-40 split between women and men,
which means that there are many moresingle evangelical women out there than
their male counterparts. AsMs. Cockrel explains, "I have friends who wanted to
marry a Christianguy, are still single, and are more and more open to dating
non-Christians as they get older. They're tired of waiting."

Oh anyways. I'm going to put in some M*A*S*H and hope it lulls me to sleep. Or maybe something less engaging. Anyways, I need sleep. I hope to find SOMETHING that will get me there.

I have an appointment with a lawyer on Monday to see if I can get somewhere with the car fiasco.

It's raining here. Before that, it was windy windy windy.

My bosses both were boosts in the arm today, M with her wisdom concerning "call the lawyer--don't bother calling the dealership again!" and E with my year end review--I was pleased to see where I got 3's (Exceeds Standards). M also passed on a nugget that someone else might have passed on but I didn't catch until today: Max's decision to break up with me the day of his surgery might have had more to do with the fact that he realized things would come up that he couldn't protect me from, and/or things would come up that I couldn't protect him from. So he pulled away to protect us both. Which makes sense. And since I doubt highly Mr. First Floor will ever speak to me again (oh, yes, the drama queen emerges), this seems the most beautiful way of putting it, and it makes sense, based on the information I know about us and about me and about how him and how we both acted in the relationship.

*sigh*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what Dad told me, the trial was just the oral arguments..not actually the trial. That has yet to come. Oh, and he got trapped in the elevator with 14 other people at the courthouse. It was only 20 mins. but it's a great Dad story =). Wait for it.
I have to say, I do love me some GLH...but what dream world was she living in?! How simple it is in her books. Sheesh! If only it was that easy...oh well.
I am going to ignore your article (sorry) and just blame the state of the world. It's so much easier.

Amy A. said...

I have stopped reading a lot of Christian fiction. It seems to be a lot of the same stuff all the time.

Have you read After the Leaves Fall by Nicole Baart? Better than most CF out there, for sure. Not a romance, though, if that's what you are looking for.