Sunday, November 11, 2007

What's in a name?

for this one post, the names HAVE NOT been changed. You'll see why.

Last night, the first two guests to the party of a woman named Susie were Susan and Erica. The second guest was a man named Andrew. So far, so good.

The next guests were Sue and Eric. Already we have three Susan-derived names, now two men, and two Eric-derived names.

The next guests were Ross and Laura. Another man, two new names.

Next was Mayvis. An old fashioned name, and unique to this party.

Then we had Roland and Laura. Another Laura, another R name for the male contingent.

A lull in the doorbells and then we get Sandy and Russ. Another R name for the male contingent, and the Russ/Ross similarity gets some titters from the peanut gallery.

(It also reminds me of an episode of Friends, but what else is new?) (I linked the script. If you want a synopsis, google "Friends the one with Russ" (just linked to Wikipedia article.)

Then Renee came, our first woman with an R name.

Fun was had by all. I'd post pictures but I'm not as tech savvy as blackbird. (Who rocks, in case you were wondering.)

If I was as much a geek as some of the (unnamed heretofore) members of the party, I'd do a bunch of Venn diagrams for you. When I say unnamed heretofore, I mean I hadn't mentioned they were geeks, or pointed out which ones. That would require an entire list again, by level of geek degree.

As it was, we had five men, nine women, three serious piano players, three moms, one grandma, two married couples, six people who had said "I do," (two husbands in absentia), and a partridge in a pear tree. It was wonderful.

3 comments:

Jess said...

This reminds me of the summer my (recently-divorced) mother dated two Ricks, a Richard, a R.W., and a Rich.

I was jaded and sarcastic, and referred to them all as 'your herd'

Sandy Stover said...

It was a good time. I enjoyed haning out in your other room in the comfy purple chair.

Happy Birthday again!

KitchenKiki said...

Should we discuss my husband whose mother's first name is the same as mine. His ex-wife's name also begins with K, so does his daughter's & a couple ex-girlfriend's.

And his 3 best friends for 30+ years all have the same first name as him