Monday, November 26, 2007

It is much easier to write a solemn book than a funny book. It's harder to make people laugh than to make them cry...

...People are always on the verge of tears. (Fran Lebowitz)

[Note: I am writing this part, so that makes it not a pre-written post. And the quote is new. Because I had a gazillion bad dreams last night and am very close to tears until I realized, ah! I'm awake and none of those bad things really happened!! Also, I changed the labels.]

I'll come back later and do linky stuff.

from Daysgoby from Major Bedhead

Total number of books owned: Who knows? If a bookcase holds around 40 books then I have maybe around 240.

Last book bought: Mary Poppins she wrote: the life of P.L. Travers.

Last book read: Am re-reading A long way down by Nick Hornby. I lurve this book.

Ten (Five times two) Books that Mean a Lot to You:

  1. Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle
  2. Writing down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
  3. Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt
  4. Eat Cake
  5. Good in Bed by Jen Weiner
  6. Girl's Poker Night
  7. A Bargain for Frances
  8. Julian, baby of the world
  9. The Bible
  10. Home girls: a black femenist anthology

(Jess at DGB added this one)

Five Books That You Just Don't Get:
  1. A prayer for Owen Meany: I have tried three times (at different ages of my life) to read this book. It just isn't for me.
  2. The Giving Tree. I have heard all the arguments that the tree is a Christ figure but I still don't like it.
  3. The Lord of the rings books. (I don't like the movies either.)
  4. Catherine called Birdy (UGH, the diary format was horrible!!)
  5. The Brothers Karamazov.
Five books you have read or re-read this year:
  1. A long way down by Nick Hornby
  2. It's called a breakup because it's broken
  3. Dairy Queen
  4. Off Season
  5. Walter the Farting Dog

If you haven't, and want to, I TAG YOU.

3 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

for posterity's sake, i originally wrote MOST but not all of the content on 9/24 of this year. So I've bought lots of books since then. And still haven't read MP. Don't even know where it is...

Sandy Stover said...

the giving tree is an awful book. it tells kids that it's cool to just take and take and take from someone.

Sarah Louise said...

Sandy--I hear you and I don't get the book either, but I know a lot of people who hate Love you Forever which the author meant to be FUNNY.

I think there's more to it than what meets the eye. Were you there when Carlos read it and shared a bit about Brennan Manning talking with Shel Silverstein about The Giving Tree?

xo,

SL