Saturday, August 12, 2006

Movie Reviews

Like the poor wayfaring stranger that they speak about in song
I'm just a weary pilgrim trying to find my own way home
Oh sweet Jesus if you're out there, keep me ever close to you
As I'm travelin', travelin', travelin', as I'm travelin' thru
(Dolly Parton, from the song Travelin' Through on the Transamerica soundtrack.)

Just finished watching Transamerica. Wow. We live in such a screwed up world, and I mean that in the best sense. I could only respect the characters for their courage. True guts in that movie, true guts. I don't know how to blog about it, though.

I mean, it makes you want to not trust people, because they'll screw you over, and then you want to trust, because there IS hope. I liked the Dolly Parton song at the end.

I know very little about the subject matter, which the story of a trans-gendered man pre-operation. Who discovers s/he has a son. Who...The plot has more twists than a rollercoaster. But what I do know is that the human spirit was brought through in that movie out of screwed-up-ness, big time.

Horse of a completely different color: You, Me, and Dupree. Was that movie ever hysterical! Emily and I laughed and laughed and laughed some more. It's the story of a newly married couple and the husband's best friend who moves in temporarily because he lost his job. Lance Armstrong does a cameo after the credits--which is why you should always stay for the credits (I'm talking directly to my sister on that one...she always makes a fuss when I stay for them.)

And I finished the fifth season of Sex and the City. Butterflies figured into the season finale. I like butterflies.

***********
Tomorrow, after my tomato and cheddar samwich at Tazza, I'll go to Fox Books until the Cingular store opens at eleven to get a replacement phone.

Today felt like an entire month packed into 24 short hours: discovering the phone loss, driving out to Homestead to look for the phone, talking with Emily about how well she's doing the friend thing even as she's engaged (they found rings today!), talking to my mom, playing tele-tag with everyone, going to a birthday party, going to a pre-Baptism party (I didn't stay long), watching Transamerica...I'm surprised I don't have whip lash. I saw people I haven't seen in months and it was good to see that they're doing well.

We are all just travelin' thru.

5 comments:

Paula said...

I always think how sad it must be for transgendered people who aren't really allowed by society and sometimes their own families to be the person outside that they are inside. I don't know how I would go about living a life where I couldn't be the me I really am all the time.

Hanging out in a bookstore sounds like a good thing, maybe I'll wander over to one later today.

Glad to hear you got the cell phone thing worked out.

Sarah Louise said...

I guess my assessment is wow, I have so much to learn. The movie left me with a lot of questions, but the overarching message that was at times a thin threadbare thread was that there is hope. And I think that's all we can ask for in this life: a little hope to get us to the next stop on the map.

Oh, and vis a vis my plans for the day: wo/man makes plans, God laughs. I called Em this morning real quick and she said do you want to come sit with me at church? So I drove to the South Hills (AND DIDN'T GET LOST)and got to spend more quality time with her.

Oh, and btw, they'll probably be moving the wedding date up from April 07 to Oct/Nov 06. Right.

Caro said...

I'd love to go out to the movies some day.

My last one was "Over The Hedge."

Let me rephrase that. I'd love to go see an ADULT movie some day.

BabelBabe said...

what the heck is the big rush with them?

Sarah Louise said...

Babs,

Well, tis better to marry than to burn--they'd rather consummate the relationship sooner than later.

It makes sense to me, but GAH! (as one of the bridesmaids, GAH!)

SL