Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Where I shop and why

As I left Whole Foods, with my one paper bag, I mused on why I chose to go there on my way home instead of Giant Eagle, even though I have one item on my list that Whole Foods doesn't carry. (Carnation Instant Breakfast.)

Why did I pull into the Whole Foods parking lot at the last minute? Because life is unpredicable. I didn't know at that moment if Sally would be coming tomorrow morning to help me sort out my life (she is a saint, you know that already). I knew I was tired, bored, and a little listless, all not good places to be when you need to go to the grocery store. But I needed milk or I would have no breakfast tomorrow. And while shopping can be stressful, the atmosphere at Whole Foods feeds me. It even smells good when you walk in! I paid an outrageous $3 for 4 oranges, but I need to eat more fruits and veggies. I don't know what I spent on soy milk, but I had many choices, and I needed that, as I really can't fathom moving away from cow's milk. They didn't have blueberry waffles, but I'll try flax waffles, and I finally got EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) which might crack you up to know I use on popcorn. At the checkout, I did buy a magazine (Paula, you knew this was coming) but it was Harper's, a magazine I used to subscribe to. It was soothing to flip through the pages and not be focused on "15 things you can do in 15 minutes" or "How to slash your food bill" or "Jen is going to be a single mom."

I shop at Walgreens because I have heard the success story of Walgreens in Good to Great by Jim Collins time and again, as I listen to Jim on audio in my car. (Now I have to get it on CD!)

I shop at Borders because their rewards card is free and I get free stuff (I got $30 free the week before Christmas, making a few gifts for other people FREE!)

I shop at Barnes and Noble because it's close by and I know folks there, and because I used to work for the company, I know the general set up.

I shop at Giant Eagle because I spend about $30 on drugs every month and every time you spend $50 you get 10 cents off per gallon of gas. (It adds up!) And because they are on my way home from work, in a manner of speaking. (Although at Walgreens you can transfer prescriptions and it doesn't matter which store you go to...that seems very tempting to me, but then again, I like that I sort of know the people at Giant Eagle.)

I do not have to tell you why I shop at Target (I imagine most of you are also Targét shoppers), but I will: their products are so beautiful, enticing, and...(mostly) cheap!

I wish I shopped at independent bookstores. But I don't know where they are in Pittsburgh anymore. I wish I shopped at Trader Joes. But they close at 9pm and that's usually when I'm coming back into my 'hood. (Which brings out another great thing about Walgreens--they are open 24/7, even on NYE!) I wish I shopped at Aldi more. They have good stuff at great prices.

So maybe that's my resolution for the year: to do more things in 15 minutes. To slash my food bills. And to not focus so much on Jen being a single mom but reading things like Harper's magazine, which feeds my mind and soul.

Show and Tell is tomorrow morning, your leftover Christmas picture(s). I can't wait to see what you'll post!

4 comments:

Amy A. said...

Wow, so many choices in the big city. Lucky.

I've got my show and tell ready. I just have to push publish in the morning. Can't wait to see what everyone's got!

Sarah Louise said...

I never think of Pgh as a big city, but I guess we are...I am such a city girl.

Tara Lamont said...

I use EVOO in popping my popcorn too! Thanks for sharing your shopping trip.

Sarah Louise said...

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one. Tonight I went to the land of the tabloids--Jen and Brad and Ang were on every cover it seemed. I think it's time for popcorn, actually!!