Tuesday, January 10, 2006

OPC

(Other People's Children)

So it's my second day of "No naps for you, missy" and in my attempt to drive the half hour it takes to get to work, I chickened out, because I was feeling like I wanted to take a nap. So instead, I pulled into Highland Park and took a walk. I think if you do the whole reservoir, don't cut corners it's .9 mile. I cut corners, I walked fast, because I wanted that nap. While I was walking, I figured out whose kids I could hang out with today (yesterday it was BB's). Sally (the genius who figured out that gift certificates to the movie would rock my world as a Christmas gift) was outside with the kids when I called so I had to talk nervously into the answering machine, hoping she was there. When I got there, the game was bubble blowing. I mean, I could really get into this no naps thing (except tomorrow I really need to go back to work). Bubbles are my favorite thing. Then Sally left for an appointment and I watched part of a dinosaur video with her two sons. Frank fell asleep on the couch. (He's two, and a real charmer.) I read two books out loud to Zach, we played two games of Chutes and Ladders, and then Frank woke up so we all played cars. After dinner, the boys entertained us with "Watch This" which Sally informs me happens "at this time everyday." The boys yell "watch this!" and then do some cool dance move. I kid you not, Frank's best one is a crooked arm as he runs from end to end of the room. Sally calls it his tango move and it really had us howling.

When I left, Frank gave me a couple blow kisses. At their father's command I got hugs. Nine years ago tomorrow, I was a bridesmaid in Zeke and Sally's wedding. Happy Anniversary!!

The bonus jokes:

How do you tell an introverted engineer from an extroverted engineer?

The extroverted engineer looks at your shoes when he's talking to you.

And you would have thought I would have heard this line before (I'm a librarian!?):
How many pages does it take to make a library?

The books we read:

Something something saw on Delancey Street and
City Noises? (I'll let you know tomorrow)

Movie I now must get from the library:

Hot Ballroom (about 5th graders in NYC)

1 comment:

blackbird said...

--wish I had your email addy...
feel free to steal the button for de-lurkers.