Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy 2006!

Well, it's official...the new year has begun! This morning I went to visit my friend Marlaena at the church she works at, Christ Community Church, which is in the South Hills. I crossed the Mon river to get there...I so rarely go South! (unless I'm going to the airport.)

It was a lovely service. There was communion, which was matzo bread in a basket and grapes. As I held my grape, waiting for the moment when we would all eat our grapes, I thought, what would Joke think of this? To me, it seemed a very practical way of dealing with the wine/juice controversy while avoiding the spilling issue. Fascinating.

Marlaena's meditation (not sure the dif between a meditation and a sermon) was on how life is disorienting. How many times have we been disoriented this year? She sited national events like Katrina and Rita. I had brought a notebook, and I listed mine--since I so often think in terms of the "academic calendar" there are things I forgot happened in 2005--wow, that was *last year*? They seem like ancient history.

We had lunch at Hoolihans and chatted about being single women in their mid to late 30s. I told her I'm halfway through Loves me, Loves me not.

So, stay tuned for reflections on 2005 and critiques of books...also, is Disney undermining college educations? Hmmm....coming soon a compare/contrast between Ice Princess and Herbie Fully Loaded.

But now...now, it is nap time. My strata (bread quiche) is nestled in the fridge for the OD gathering later today.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4 comments:

blackbird said...

hmmmm, what does Joke think of the grapes, I wonder?

Joke said...

The facetious side of me would say the grapes are just fine, needing only some stomping and a year or two in a barrel.

The more benevolent side of me would say whatever leads you closer to the divine is fine.

The orthodox me would say it was an intriguing symbol, but (for lo-o-o-o-ong reasons well beyond the scope of this comment) not the Eucharist.

And I have NFI what the difference is between a homily, sermon and meditation.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Yeah...I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with grapes, but for a congregation that meets in a school gymnasium and has a large base of children, it does simplify things. Lunch with M was social, but I do have some q's that I'll probly email. I'm glad you have at least three sides, J.

--SL

couldn't resist this vw: gkcupn

greek cups, no?

Joke said...

Sure! Shoot me an email at your leisure. The office won't be open until 1/4/06, so I am going bonkers with tedium.

-J.