Monday, January 02, 2006

It was 24 years ago...


It was twenty years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play
They've been going in and out of style
But they're guaranteed to raise a smile.
So may I introduce to you the act you've know for all these years,
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
We're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,
We hope you will enjoy the show,
We're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,
Sit back and let the evening go.
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely,
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band.
It's wonderful to be here, it's certainly a thrill.
You're such a lovely audience, We'd like to take you home with us,
We'd love to take you home
I don't really want to stop the show,
But I thought that you might like to know,
The singer's going to sing a song,
And he wants you all to sing along.
So let me introduce to you
The one and only Billy Shears
And Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

24 years ago (give or take a few hours) my sister Beppe was born. We were oblivious, skiing in Vermont, Mama Louise, Papa Louise, and me, Sarah Louise. We had colds and I might have had a rash related to the Sudafed. We were at Mt. Snow in Vermont, and Beppe was being born in Honduras, outside Tegucigalpa.

(The Beatles tribute: I was having a conversation with a friend in my car the other night as a Dolly Parton song came on. I shared that DP had a new album and that it was horrible. "Isn't she like sixty?" opined the friend. "Paul McCartney's 63," I countered. "Yeah, but he was with the Beatles and I like his stuff, whereas I've never really liked anything Dolly did." Point taken, although I do like some of Dolly's stuff. (Just not her newest project--*shudder*)

The Entertainer (Scott Joplin) is on the radio. So maybe my insomnia isn't for naught. I had a full day today...cleaning, erranding, and dinnering. Lilly and I have gone to Boston Market two Mondays in a row--it's close by, it's cheap, and the food is good. I was picturing their macaroni and cheese all afternoon. Their corn muffins used to be larger, but everyone's downsizing...

So happy birthday, dearest one! As Mama always says wistfully, if we'd only known we were having a baby that day, we'd have been a bit less miserable! I am so blessed to be in a family with you. You're really good at making me smile.

And now they're playing "Guantanamera." Please let this not be the version where they translate it badly mid-song...oh no, it is!! I don't want to have to change the station...so I'll turn it off for a moment while I try to find a good Bep pic. I may just resort to her "arriving day" picture, since it's such a cute one of us both. Plus, neither of us look like that anymore, so if the FBI is looking for us, it's a better picture to post.

Feliz cumpleaños, querida...muchas suerte en este año. (And any bloggers who know how to get Spanish characters in a post that is mostly English, please comment!!)

4 comments:

Joke said...

SL,

The ñ is ALT + 164. You should have a file (probably buried somewhere) called charmap.exe that will let you know how to do all those foreign characters, umlauts, et al.

-J.

P.S. Without the ñ, año becomes ano and, well, it's not a pretty thing you just wished Beppe.

Sarah Louise said...

Thanks!!! I'll look for the .exe later. Right now I'm gonna walk down to the UP and give them my check for the Short Story class!! (hey, I'm doing two resolutions in one swoop!)

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU! Te quiero!..if only every younger sister knew they had a sister like you to welcome them!

Joke said...

What happened to this post?

Something's odd at Blogger today...

-J.