Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A library is..."the only place I know where I can always find passion, mystery, suspense,

true love, and a no-fail recipe for turkey gravy." (Jennifer Cruisie)

Okay, so today in my LIS news (a news email I get about libraries) I read about a guy who googled the hell out of the Internet but couldn't find out any info about the origin of the public libary. So where does he go? Not to a library, but to the Straight Dope. Groan. This is why people think libraries are becoming obsolete and replaceable by computers???

So, anyways, I went to the article, which was pretty informative, and then read the discussion board, which was pretty entertaining. This, especially, caught my attention, and I think will help me forever remember the order of Dewey Decimal Classification. It's from the caveman's point of view.
100 Who am I?
200 Where did I come from?
300 Who are these people around me?
400 How can I communicate with them?
500 What is nature?
600 What can I do with nature?
700 What can I do in my leisure time?
800 How can I pass on the great stories to my children?
900 How can I leave a record for men in the future?
000 (This is for General Works. I'll buy you a Coke if you can figure out a good question for this category, which features bibliographies, books about books, encyclopedias, and other reference works.)

If you're interested in other librarian's blogs, and more importantly, how their blogs rank on a daily basis, check this out! Pop Goes the Library has the biggest gain, it went up by 45 points! And who couldn't love a library blog that suggests libraries should close for the Golden Globes and put on their own red carpet and having patrons dress up as their favorite celebrities?

In other news, one of our banned children (adolescents) in the library was hiding under a table. I made the positive ID and Jill, who won't take crap from anyone, bawled the kids out, saying, "If you're harboring him, you'll be out next, and I'd be worried about your reputation, having him under the table like that." She then followed the banned youth outside and waited until he vacated the grounds. Jill, you are my hero!!

4 comments:

bobbie said...

still reading here too!

Joke said...

000 - What else have I left out?

Sarah Louise said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jess said...

I don't have a question for the 000s, but I think my favorite part is the section on UFOs and the Loch Ness Monster.