Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Final score: Penguins 8, Capitols 1

What was that I said earlier about this being a day to celebrate hockey in da Burgh? Do you think Sidney Crosby was reading my blog before the big game? Cause somehow, the message got through, pretty loud and clear, I'm thinkin'.

Ways that librarians use their libraries: caught in bumper to bumper traffic, not exactly sure what time it is or what time the Pen's game is, but realizing it's about that time and I'm on that bridge where the Pen's traffic piles up: "Public Library, can I help you?" "Yes, what time does the Pen's game start?" (Because my library is #5 on my cell phone's speed dial.) "Let me check" (And I'm thinking Carrie, the librarian who answered the phone, is wondering what kind of a patron asks that as a reference question) "It starts at 7." "So I'm thinking that the traffic jam I'm in will be dissapating soon?" "Well, it's about quarter of, now." "Thank you!" "You're welcome."

I'm such a satisfied library patron I might write a comment card saying that Carrie the librarian helped me out of a traffic jam (since, as a result of this phone exchange, I took the exit not to Mellon Arena and got to Bloomfield in much better time than I would have otherwise.) Folks, this is what your library can do for you! Think of the time and gas I saved on that one! (Not to mention that traffic jams make me cranky.)

Now, will I ever come clean to Carrie that I was the crazy patron calling from the traffic jam to ask when the Pens game was? I wonder....

In other library news, here are a few blogs that libraries are using to publicize what they do.

Johnson County Library
Marin County Free Library
LibDex Library Blogs

And, today's number one reason I am glad to work at Public Libary No. 5:

Today in the book shop, I scored 2 books in the Griffin and Sabine trilogy, books I sold for cash when I was dirt poor. How much did I pay, you ask? With my employee discount and myself saying, charge me more for these books and a Coke, 3 dollars and change!! Do you think God was trying to get my attention about lost things? These are HARDCOVERS with a cover price of 17.95 each. I think I got $12.oo for grocery money when I sold all three books in 1997.

The number two reason I am glad I work at Public Library No. 5: I get to sit on the floor and sing with moms and babies for a half hour Wednesday mornings.

The number three reason I am glad...etc.: Lunch with Marian the Librarian. We were wearing matching pink turtlenecks today. It was almost sickening. Be glad my camera was at home.

1 comment:

Sarah Louise said...

I don't understand why the Pens score didn't make it to the front page of the Post-Gazette!

But I'm glad you mentioned Chicken Romano--I almost added it, but you did it better.