Saturday, February 10, 2007

We're in the double digits: it's a balmy 11! Here's the Mama Said post...(updated)

Mama said to me last night (from a hotel in Memphis), no more crying. Well, she got me at the right time--I got my hair trimmed and a manicure and I had sesame chicken for dinner. The only thing that could have improved things was if I had eaten my dinner with chopsticks.

So I watched "Failure to Launch" last night--love that flick! and I crawled under the covers.

Wisdoms from my Mama:

If you can't make a mistake, you can't make anything.

From the story "The Tortoise and the Hare," came this one: Slow and steady wins the race.

Laugh about it.

Make sure you marry a Christian.

Actions speak louder than words. This one came to me as I was having dinner with C&A. It's like the most "Mama" of them all, but somehow I forgot it.

When I was in fourth grade, she taught me to say the 23rd psalm at bedtime. It has been a great comfort to me.

My mother is more famous for her songs, though. She's a very private woman and she does not suffer fools. It has taken us thirty some years to come to a place where we speak each other's language.

It's been my dad who has doled/or not relationship advice. He's the one who said to me, "Mama said there'd be days like this," though my mama had said no such thing.

Some of my mama's songs:

Old King Cole was a merry old soul, and they threw him out the window!

And this might be my favorite. Kiki knows it for sure:

"Oh the cannibal king with the big nose ring
went out with a dusty maid
And every night by the pale moonlight
Across the lake he came
He hugged and kissed his pretty little miss
under the bamboo tree
and every night by the pale moonlight
it sounded like this to me
a-rum, a-rum
a-rum-bahdy-ahdy-ay-a-a
a-rum, a-rum,
a-rum-bahdy-ahdy-ay" (click the link for the rest...)

And this one: "I do nothing nothing nothing, I do nothing all day long,
I do absolutely nothing, how do you like my nothing song?"
(It's one of those 'second verse, same as the first, a little bit louder
and a little bit worse' songs)

And this one: Down by the old mill creek,
where I first met you.
With your eyes so blue,
Dressed in gingham too.
It was there I knew,
that you loved me true.
You were sixteen,
My (words? what are the words) queen, down by the old mill stream.

Then you sing it faster, like this:

Down by the old (not the new but the old) mill stream
(not the river but the stream)
Where I first (not last but first) met you (not me but you)
With your eyes (not your ears) so blue (not green but blue)...

und so wieta. (and so on, in German.) (I may have mispelled it.)

I gotta get ready for work. My mama loves me, all is well with the world.
And if you ain't got a mama, mine will sing silly songs to you too.

Btw, my nails look sooo glamorous. The manicure was truly restorative.
So, as my father would say,
"Moooving right along..."

And I have no clue why Blogger is messing with the fonts here. Whateve!! It also was messing
with the margins...anyways. Mooving right along.

Oh, and DON'T spill my coffee!


6 comments:

Paula said...

I like that! If you can't make a mistake you can't make anything!

I'm glad you're feelling better.

Sarah Louise said...

Blogger...grr! I'll try to fix the formatting later.

I wax and wane on the "feeling better" bit.

Amy A. said...

Must have pictures of the manicure!

I love under the bamboo tree. Fun stuff.

KitchenKiki said...

I'm not sure I remember the Bamboo Tree. I may have to hear more. I most remember "I'm De Wuller-de-Wust & you da one I'm after"

Glad the manicure worked, some times it is good to be self-indulgent. After all, if you aren't going to indulge yourself, no one else will!

Sarah Louise said...

I had forgotten about "I'm De Wuller-de-Wust & you da one I'm after" WOW!!

It is so nice to have someone who has shared childhood memories!!

Of course, Sis will remember "Little Bunny Foo Foo," which you taught us at the lake.

Badger said...

Und so weiter, I think.

I am sending you hugs.