Friday, February 16, 2007

Harper Collins...messing experimenting with books

The new paperbacks of the Little House series are out. The covers are photographs of people dressed up to be old fashioned and the Garth Williams illustrations that used to people the books are GONE!

This is worse than when they decided The Magicians Nephew was Book One of the Narnia series!! At least then they kept Pauline Bayne's illustrations!!

Ursula Nordstrom is rolling in her grave, I know it.

*******************

Update: found this wonderful blog (KEWL) and a Harper's editor who has been overseeing the repackaging came in and said, It's only one edition, we're still keeping the editions (paper and hardcover) that have the Garth illustrations. PHEW!!

I happen to be doing Freaky Friday for Mother/Daughter on Saturday and had forgotten how "bad" it was (the mom smokes, there are curse words...) It fits the UN (Ursula Nordstrom) "good books for bad children" oevre. Btw, did you know Mary Rodgers was the daughter of Richard Rodgers (as in R and Hammerstein????) She was very instrumental in putting together Free to be you and me, which shaped my view of the world back in the seventies... (when I was a child.)

Oh, and if you click on the "Nordstrom" part of the U.N. link (above) you'll read one interesting tidbit...UN never went to college!! And this woman shaped how we see Children's Literature today, capital C, capital L.

Autodidacts of the world, rejoice!

Oh, and go visit my darling friend Caro. She just had a birthday, has joined the post-beta Blogger world and changed her moniker from Carolyn to Caro because I had been using it to address her. Little old me!! It boggles the mind!

Footnote: I think I may need to start contributing to Wikipedia--they are such an invaluable source (of most of my links in this post).

Oh, and in case you were keeping track at home: it was either 9 or 6 when I woke up and now it is 13-15 (degrees Fahrenheit).

TGIF, everyone. I may (yeah right) take the weekend off. Hey, it could happen! I just found some parts of the main portion of my "story," the one I'll be using in my application for the MFA.

Chuß! Tschüß (it's pronounced chuss and it's ciao for the German speaking population.)

10 comments:

Iamthebookworm said...

Why do they have to mess with a good thing? I LIKE the older covers!

Paula said...

I loved the Little House books when I was a girl. They should leave them just as they are.

MsCellania said...

When I first read the Little House books, they were illustrated with very primitive drawings - I was thrilled when I found the Garth Williams editions! The old, old copies were hardbacks in my old private school library.

I cannot believe the publisher thinks the photos will outsell the GW artwork.

Sarah Louise said...

Well, the old ones will still be available, this is just an experiment.

Caro said...

About three years before the Narnia movie, I purchased a full set of The Chronicles on a yard sale for about three dollars. Score!

Thank you for the e-card. That was sweet!

MsCellania said...

Yes, but the GW illustrated Little Houses will only be available in hardback! How many parents can afford those for their children?

Sarah Louise said...

mscell, I bolded in red the part where it says they ARE keeping the paperbacks with the GW illustrations. This is a separate reprint. So now you can get LH books in:

GW hardback
GW paperback
crappy photos paperback

No bias, you understand...

Katrina said...

I, too, loved the Little House books as a girl, and now I'm reading through them with my daughter! She got the whole set for Christmas this year from my mom; fortunately they still have the original covers and artwork.

It's great to find the blog of a fellow book lover! (And thanks for stopping by mine!) :)

Adrian said...

It's spelled Tschuess (ue can be the u umlaut if you feel like being fancy).

Sarah Louise said...

A--thanks! My German is mostly in my head so my spelling isn't the best. Thanks for the wiki link, too!

SL