Monday, February 05, 2007

It's -2 degrees out there...

There's a project I've been working on. Yesterday, I discovered that it was still in the very nascent stages, when I thought it was MUCH further along. That's life. But there has been a major breakthrough, because of some risks I took, so that's good.

So, in lieu of the "Mama said" post, which will come soon, I promise, I offer you this quote from Helen Hayes. It was the Monday "Financial Quote" from Women's Wall Street, an online newsletter I get. May it cheer you too--that hard work can sometimes be its own reward:

"My mother drew a distinction between achievement and success. She said that 'achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is in you. Success is being praised by others, and that's nice, too, but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success.'"

Oh, and in case you've been living under a hole, the Colts won. Oh well.

In other news, I got myself some grocery store tulips. I put them in the vase Kristin got me for my birthday, which was made for tulips. Mayhap I'll post a picture later. But now, I'm off to cajole my car into starting so I can go to the chiropractor.

5 comments:

Paula said...

Ooh, I miserable just thinking about how cold you must be there. It's cold here but not that cold (crossing my fingers). Stay warm.

And? I'm going to the post office today!

Amy said...

It is cold here, isn't it? Thought I was back in the midwest for a moment or two this weekend.

Oh, and I have no family near where I live, either. Closest ones are 11 hours away. :o(

I love tulips!! I'm resisting the urge to buy some when I've been at the market, too. I love love love them!! Good choice for such a cold week!

KitchenKiki said...

We are up to 11 here. Accuweather says it "Feels Like" -5.
this is why I'm on the computer instead of being productive. We have a small electric heater in the office, but it isn't doing the job today. I need about 5 more pairs of socks.

At least I have left over stew for lunch. Homemade, yummy stuff!

I'm trying to get my gumption up to leave the house. I want to go to the pottery studio and finish a few projects, but it is an old building and I'm afraid I'm going to freeze. It is hard to throw pots with a lot of layers, they all get wet & covered with clay. I have a vase shaped like a flower that is supposed to come out of the kiln today, along with a couple bowls and an itty bitty vase. We'll see.

Stay Warm!

Sarah Louise said...

Doing stuff on the computer isn't productive??

(ha ha--I know what you mean.)

Although the river all frozen over was be-yoo-tiful to look at.

I guess I like the austere "look" of winter.

Anonymous said...

it's way too cold here, did ya know it's actually warmer in alaska today!! ;)
i love/d helen hayes. i enjoyed her autobiography too!