Saturday, February 24, 2007

Mama says...

Mucinex? It's expensive, isn't it? (She says in a tone that's not accusatory but rather, chummy, like 'what they do with the price of cheese in China is alarming, girlfriend!') (Picture my mama saying "girlfriend!" in that tone it's supposed to be said and if you know her, you will have a spasm of giggles, no disrespect!!) And its main ingredient is pseudophed--which doesn't work on you...

Which is why I have not been feeling the effects!! Thankyouverymuch! (And yes, I read the ingredients, but I thought maybe after over 20 years, pseudophed would have decided it could work on me...)

Luckily, when I woke up, not having felt the effects, I remembered that in eons past, Entex LA was an Rx that worked, so I used my trusty friend Google who led me to my trustier friend Wikipedia and found out that Sudafed PE uses the active ingredient in Entex LA. (Trust me, I think Alka-Selzer Cold would be more fun--all that fizzing n'at, but I can't take aspirin products. I get red dots.)

And my lovely neighbor (yes, Ms. 2nd floor) just called to check up on me. She knew I wasn't feeling well the other day and saw that my car was still here on a Saturday morning and hoped I wasn't sleeping! Also, she that has no car, offered to pick anything up for me (with the caveat that I wouldn't get it until 5 pm). I wish I could ask her for something small, just to let her know I'm capable of taking favors, but I know I need a decongestant sooner, and I do have wheels. She is full of surprises.

Ugh. I think I'll hit Walgreens first, though maybe I'll do a drive-thru at McD's first. (Oh, but I have Hot Pockets that I bought yesterday with a coupon--they are crazy for coupons, those Hot Pockets people, I got another coupon with my reciept!) I heart Walgreens, although I did find a larger variety of cold-related items at Eckerd the other day. But the service was atrocious!! I tell you, there is a HUGE industry in keeping people medicated that have a runny nose, etc. etc. But I bet you knew that. Just making conversation, n'at.

I may try to go to the library, but I don't have high hopes, knowing that my local branch has an abyssmal video collection...I could go to Edgewood...I love that library. Plus, the librarians there are real people. Yes, the Edgewood library is a trip that would make me very happy. Okay, so my morning has some structure--please leave comments, I am so cabin feverish (and a little bit lonely) after not having been at work ALL WEEK (well, except for Mother Goose on Weds.)

8 comments:

Jess said...

I love your Mama!

How's your weather, SL? We have a few inches and it's 'sifting down slowly' (as MY mama would say!) - but all in all it looks rather like November.

Clever to look up the ingredient like that! I wouldn't have thought of that...

Badger said...

Wait a minute ... have they changed the formula of Mucinex? Or did you buy a special decongestant version? The regular one is just (well, MOSTLY) guiafenesin, isn't it? This is what my doctor has me take instead of pseudoephedrine (SudaFed) because I can't take that due to my wonky heart. In fact, before Mucinex came along, she had to prescribe Rx-strength guiafenesin for me. It works, but I have to drink a LOT of water which is not conducive to much rest, if you know what I mean.

Anyhoo.

I hope you feel better soon. It's a lovely day here but my allergies are going NUTS so I dunno what our plans are.

Sarah Louise said...

DGB: I heart my mama too!

It is bright and sunny here, right nice. But we have a winter storm watch or is it a warning? for tonight. Yeah, most of it is melting, but who knows what tonite will bring...

looking up ingredients? it's the librarian in me. I can't help myself!!

B: Yes, now Mucinex comes in at least 3 flavors: regular, decongestant and decongestant plus oh anyways. I got the Walgreens non-sudafed plus guaf. I found it at the register (which is why it pays to look at what's at the register!!) I was about to buy just the non-sudafed. But the guaf is important too. I think I left it in the car, though. Well, I'll have to go back outside...and yes, drinking all that water is not conducive to rest, but oh well.

Fortunately, everything here is still pretty much melting, so allergies wouldn't be an issue.

Katy said...

Mucinex is good stuff, the guafenisen part, at least. Its what the CMU health services would give out for sinus stuff and other congestion before they would go the antibiotics route. Its the same as plain old Entex, but that was only $5/script at health services and Mucinex is much more expensive at the store. It'll get the goo out.

You have to watch out, when price shopping, that you get the kind that lasts for 12 hours and not 4 hours, or at least compare ones that are the same. Costco has a really good price on a monster bottle of the 4 hour stuff, but I think that it evens out to about the same cost as getting 12 hour stuff at the Walgreens (but not at the Dominicks, where everything is more expensive).

Feel better, I am sharing the ick.

Iamthebookworm said...

Pseudoephdrine is sometimes the ONLY thing that will get rid of my sinus headaches. Unfortunately, you have to get it at the pharmacy counter now instead of on the shelf and it knocks me out cold so I can't take it at work.

I hope you feel better soon! Curl up and watch a good movie and rest.

Paula said...

Vic's Vapo Run.

Stinky but effective.

Feel better soon.

Paula said...

Rub. Vic's Vapo RUB. Not run. Sheesh.

KitchenKiki said...

It's 10:45. Take NyQuil & SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

then wake up and take more NyQuil & sleeep some more. It may not make you feel better, but then again if you are asleep you won't notice.

Hope you feel better soon!