Saturday, February 17, 2007

Sunday confessions, a few hours early

A while back (eons, when Glamourose was a hopping blog), Kim and Bec instituted Sunday as "Confessions day." I'll see if I can scare up some links.

Here's one from Bec, and from Suse, and another one from Kim.

So here are a few of mine:

  1. Social justice issues scare me. Tonight I was Sally's date (instead of babysitting her children, as her husband wanted to stay home) to a CCO dinner followed by a speaker, Gary something, of IJM ministries. Way to get my attention. Did you know there are 27 million slaves in the world? RIGHT NOW?? The speaker really came full circle, though, telling us the sob stories and then their redemption. He used the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000 with the boy's lunch as inspiration--if only a few people could have a shred of obedience like that boy did, God will show up to do the miracles. But still...scary!! The OD is starting to talk about Social Justice and frankly, I just sometimes want to run in the opposite direction. I. am. such. a. hypocrite.
  2. I have started ring watching again. You know, when you look at someone's left hand to see if there's a gold or silver band on the ring finger?
  3. I am really bad at keeping up with dishes and laundry. If I had babysat, I would have done a load. (Because I wouldn't have had to use quarters to use Sally's washer.)
  4. I find it hard to trust people and God. I am learning, but I feel like I've been burned too many times, and so I get really paranoid, really easily.
  5. I am a perfectionist. Someone said to me this week, "I find that hard to believe." Well, it's true. My perfectionism may not show up in my apartment, cluttered as it is, but if someone watched me compose a post, or agonize over an email...
  6. I have too much stuff. I have for most intents and purposes lived in this apartment for twelve years. That's twelve years of build-up.
  7. I don't listen to the news. I turn the radio off on the hour and half hour because I just can't listen to it anymore.
  8. I have watched Season One, Disc One of Friends more times than I'd like to admit. I think about the "pretend lives" of Rachel, Joey, Monica, Chandler, Ross and Phoebe a lot, working my brain around a piece of an episode, looking for the kernel of truth.
  9. I don't know how to feel about Sex and the City as a Christian woman. There's a post coming on this one. I do not agree with the sexual mores expressed therein, but the story is one of real true (gritty, funny, messy) love if you watch all six seasons. And the friendships among the women are inspiring--wouldn't you like to have friends that you met every Sunday for brunch? I know I would.
  10. I expect a lot of my friends. I always have. My mother accuses me of this all the time. And then I realize that maybe hmm, could I be the one in the wrong? Open mouth, insert foot...I sit in front of a computer 90% of my day and I forget that other folks have kids, days off, no Internet at home, no desire to check email umpteen times a day.
  11. I have watched Twister, The Three Musketeers, You've Got Mail and Runaway Bride more times than I like to admit.
  12. I play way too much Free Cell.

**********

At the conference, which is run by the Coalition for Christian Outreach, a college ministry to over 70 campuses in 5 states, headquartered in Pittsburgh, I ran into a guy I sort of knew by sight when I lived in Falls Church. He went to a fellowship that I went to, called Kairos. A few years ago, I ran into him at Jubilee and tonight, he was at the same table as Sally and I. He works in the social justice/political justice arena, and as I wailed (well, not quite) that I am scared of all this, and that having a father who worked for the U.S. Government, I am aware that easy answers often aren't. He gave me a wonderful analogy, which I'll share with you. Social justice work is like farming. You are planting seeds. It takes time. It is not quick, like downloading software. I'll expand on that: yelling loud enough, sending off enough letters to politicians, marching for something, being passionate enough--those things don't accomplish the same thing that working at something with humility and persistance does.

I feel that I'm doing this badly. But I don't know how else to do it, right now. This is me, imperfectly saying to you, I am trying and often failing at what I'm trying to accomplish. But I'd like to get better at it. I'd like my life to matter more than just pink shoes and chick lit and all the books that I own. I'd like to have a shred of obedience that my two loaves of bread and five fish, meager as they are, could be used for some good, somewhere, sometime.

9 comments:

Paula said...

You forget though that small gestures, kindness can mean a great deal to the person you offer them to.

I believe being a good and kind person starts a ripple that widens as it goes. Should we try to do more? Absolutly, but sometimes it's not possible and you shouldn't discount simple kindness. I think sometimes it accomplishes more than bigger things.

Badger said...

I know you like quotes, so I will give you one by Edward Everett Hale: "I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Our former church was big on social justice issues and they liked that quote a lot (Hale was Unitarian; it was a UU church). I think social justice can be overwhelming because there's SO MUCH that needs to be done -- it's just paralyzing. So, you pick something little, maybe something close to home, and you do that, because you can.

I agree with Paula's ripple effect theory, and the farmer analogy is a good one, too.

And I personally believe that anyone who works with children is ALREADY involved in social justice.

Sarah Louise said...

Too kind, both of you!

And I never think of myself as someone who works with children. I suppose I am. Huh.

I'm fond of the Margaret Mead quote about a small group of people being the only kind that got things done, but I like the Hale one better (since I so often am JUST ONE.)

It was snowing like the dickens (charles?) but it seems to have stopped. It truly is a winter wonderland out there...

Unknown said...

I've been looking for my Carrie, Miranda and Samantha since I first saw that show...

Amy A. said...

God works with small beginnings. Everything adds up.

KitchenKiki said...

I looked at the Sunday Confessions & thought about what mine would be. I must confess that it scares me to put them down, so I won't.
But I will share some of the confessions that you shared with a friend.

Caro said...

I have too much stuff too.

And I agree with Paula that you are a kind person.

That does make a difference.

Amy said...

Perfectionists are more liable to be messy than others. Why? Because if it can't be PERFECT, then they don't do it. It's true. It's either totally obsessively neat or it's not done at all. A perfectionist just can't do the halfway thing.

I think small kindnesses can go further than big ones. There is a company that gives very very small grants to people to start their own business or to change their lives. These loans can be just $50 or maybe $1000 but it goes SO FAR in changing lives!! The small things that we do (and you do a lot of them) go so far, Sarah!!

I, too, hold my friends to very high standards, which is why, I have so very few of them. If a friend lets me down, I just declare the relationship over. I do. Cause I'm mean like that.

But meeting friends for brunch every Sunday, yeah, that sounds divine!

Katrina said...

Your "Sex and the City" dilemma made me laugh in recognition. I love the parts of the show where they're all sitting around the table talking and struggling through life issues, but, of course, I'm not keen on the explicit other content of the show. I told Paul I'd love to be able to order up episodes of just "and the City". They'd only be about fifteen minutes long, but that's okay...hehe.