Tuesday, February 28, 2006

What do we do now? The Stillers have one for the thumb and all the gold medals have been distributed...

It's called Post-Superbowl Post-Olympic Withdrawl Sluggishness Syndrome. Insomnia coupled with the fact that the Pens aren't doing any better and I never cared about baseball...which isn't for a coupla months anyways...Erin emailed me to see if I was okay, since I hadn't posted! It's nice to have friends looking out for you!! So, since I must have anticipated that one day I would need a post but not really have the energy to produce one, I offer the following:

Dewey Numbers that will save your life if you have children in a DDC library:

398.2 Fairy and folk tales

567.9 Dinosaurs (they’re all consecutive numbers, which makes them easy to remember)

507.8 Science fair projects

599.773 Wolves

598.9 Eagles and other birds of prey

625.1 Trains

629.224 Trucks

636 Domestic animals (Pets!)
636.7 Dogs
636.8 Cats
639.3 Iguanas

741.5 Comic Books or Graphic Novels (depending on the age of the child...like is he/she 7 or 33?)

745.5 Crafts

791.43 Movies (all your large size Star Wars books will be found here)


Note: the 9th abridged DDC takes up one volume of almost 600 pages. (Yes, I own this volume!--from 1965) The 22nd DDC (unabridged), which is the current version, takes up 4 volumes of 600 pages each. OCLC, a cataloguing clearinghouse, carries an online version called WebDewey, which is also very useful and costs about $500 per year.

Books that will always be popular:

Books about vacuum cleaners, garbage trucks, and Shel Silverstein poetry.

****

Mazel Tov and Happy Lent--today at work I imagine the same folks that wore beads tomorrow will wear black crosses on their foreheads. Here is a great prayer site, one I found years ago and find it is a good Lenten practice to visit. It's run by some Irish Jesuits.

***

And how could I forget? Happy Birthday Mom! (I sang into the answering machine, sent her a Virtual Florist card, she sent me one back, and then we talked when I got home from work about 9:50 pm) You're the bestest ever was!!

8 comments:

lazy cow said...

Thanks for the link to the prayer site. It's just what I need at the start of Lent :-)

Joke said...

Hey! I have that site! One of my Jesuit cyber-acquaintances is a guy (I'm not sure if he's a priest or a brother...) named I KID YOU NOT "Fergus O'Donoghue."

Irish or what?

-J., fastin' ovah heah

Garretblog17 said...

ok Sara Louise
I've been reading your blog pretty regularly and granted it's verbose nature is part of your charm it also happens to be..... well....... shall we just say if words were people you would be China. I like reading all you have to say but my only request would you say it a bit more concisely i think next time I read a list of DDC numbers I might fall into paroxysms of hysterical filing and we'll soon find my friends and co-workers stuffed into drawers with little labels and numbers on them. Especilly titles, I mean a title is supposed to be a hook not a short summary, I've been tempted to read just your title because it explains most of your entry. Anyhow hope you find this useful it was not in anyway meant to be offensive..... well maybe slightly offensive but nothing meant to hurt your feelings. take er easy
-G

BabelBabe said...

all right - i don't know exactly who GarretBlog 17 is but if lotsa words are an issue, er, something about the pot and the kettle, my friend! I'm just saying...: )

oh, and SL, as a fellow librarian - I do so love the Dewey system. I know you understand. It's just so dang elegant.

BabelBabe said...

also, I found a website yesterday with the episcopal daily lectionary online. that's my goal this year. doing the daily readings. in case i should ever decide to actually join the church...

Erin said...

Well, I find you blog totally charming. Loved the list. And who knew anyone but my odd newphew would be interested in books on vacuum cleaners!

Hope the post-event-blues evaporates quickly.

Sarah Louise said...

Awww!! As Sally Fields once said, "You like me, you really like me!"

(I've been waiting to use that quote for some time now, knowing that you did, indeed like me.)

Bbabe, send me the episcopal lectionary link, wouldya?

I actually had an acquaintance tell me yesterday I should go be an academic librarian if I wanted to meet a man and my first thought (I kid you not) was "But then I'd have to learn LOC Classification" (which is evil incarnate, as far as I'm concerned, no offense, Bbabe!!) I mean, what does the 421 in JK421.M74 stand for?

Sarah Louise said...

Oh, and Garret, no offense taken.

(to the rest: Garret is the Americorps Volunteer at the Union Project and an all around great guy with green hair.)