Friday, February 17, 2006

A list, for Blackbird, who loves lists (and a tell part of a very old Show and Tell)

The area my computer inhabits is lousy with stuff

On my computer:
A white chicken with black polka dots and yellow legs striped with red bands.
A picture of my siblings making faces at the camera, taken when they were 6 and 7, in front of a gingerbread display at the Warsaw (Poland ) Marriott, which had opened 2 months hence.
A photocopy of my library card barcode.
A few post-its with various web site addresses.

On the desk, in front of my computer screen:
A roll of EZ Start clear packing tape, made in Taiwan.
A solar calculator that has holes on the left edge so that it could be snapped into a ring-binder.
The ticket stub from the Indescribable Tour concert I attended Sunday: “Passion and Six steps Records presents: The Indescribable Tour featuring Chris Tomlin and special guests Louie Giglio and Matt Redman; Welcomed by WORD FM”
A stray paper clip, the kind that is covered with colored plastic: this one is white with green stripes.
A teddy bear figurine, dressed as a ballerina.

On the bookshelf, above my computer screen:
a picture of Teah Creasy, the cutest baby girl since Beppe (my sister).
People magazine Celebrates the 80s.
Strunk and White, Elements of Style
Essentials of Children’s Literature.
Being Digital
, by Nicholas Negroponte, brother of John Negroponte, U.S. ambassador to Honduras in the early 80s. (When we lived there)
The Annotated Mother Goose.
At least three address books and church directories.
A book of quotations.
One thesaurus, two dictionaries: a large hardcover that may have been a graduation from high school gift and one paperback, a “you’re-going-to-grad-school gift” to myself from myself.
A bunch of other books.

The prompt for this week's writing is make a list of a childhood room, top to bottom, then pick one item, describe it. I am not sure why I'm not looking forward to this. I like being an adult, I guess. I had a great childhood, but I don't think I liked myself very much (so I buried myself in books). Oh well, if I'm going to get to work on time, I gotta gotta go!

4 comments:

blackbird said...

I do.
I love lists.
I love reading and writing them.

the childhood room assignment intrigues me.

Erin said...

Striped paper clips make me very happy :)

alyssa said...

I think Téah's pretty darn cute too :) Not that I'm biased or anything. We might come to Mother Goose storytime someday soon! The library is right near my parent's house and now Téah is 6 months old! Do you still do that storytime?

Sarah Louise said...

Yes! I still do that storytime, I would love you to come visit!! 10 am on Wednesdays...