Friday, December 02, 2005

YA Books

No, this is not another Ya Ya thing, this is a librarian thing...YA=Young Adult. Now, in the real world, a young adult is 25-34 (ouch!) but in library and children's lit talk, YA=teen.

I rarely get to touch books when I'm wearing my children's librarian hat, so it is a real treat to barcode YA books, because I hardly ever get to touch them...and I feel I'm becoming out of touch. Or is it that I'm touched? There's a book about that, actually. We'll link up later. But I've barcoded enough to have a pile of 6 that I think blogworthy, so I'll list them and chew on them later. My internet at home is broken...but that's another story.

So...(in no particular order)

Rooster by Don Trembath: a kid who doesn't want to graduate, but they'll make him!

The Hollow Horseman by Christopher Golden and another guy...didya know they changed the name of North Tarrytown to Sleepy Hollow (officially) in 1996?

The Blood Stone by Jamila Gavin: a history book that looks from the cover to be about Venice. It's from across the pond (I mean Britain, baby)

Full Service by Will Weaver: this one actually took me in by almost two chapters (reading on the job?) It's about a farm kid who takes a job at a full service gas station because his mom thinks he should "meet the public."

The next two are teen chick lit:

Amazing Grace by Megan Shull (love the cover shot, baby) about a tennis star who wants out. It looks yummmy....

Cubanita by Gaby Triana: Beppe, this book is for you: It's about a cuban-American girl who wants to be American only. "It's sure to be a summer favorite." Ha ha, all I see outside is snow. Any book that has Guantanamera in the first chapter is a book for me!!

Enuff 4 now. chat w u later.

4 comments:

blackbird said...

Hey.
I appreciate these mini reviews.
I (who worked in publishing) feel that YA is the weakest, lamest category of all...
why does it all HAVE to be so coming of age-y.
I may have to consult with you in the future...

Sarah Louise said...

blackbird, hey, glad to be of service! YA is a very twisted category...but I do adore it...I sometimes think I must be a 17 year old trapped in the body of a 34 year old.

beppe, good to talk to you. note that I edited the post. LYLAS (oh wait, you are my sister! LOL)

crrxm: crazy rocket robert x me?

i think the cold weather froze my brain...

Joke said...

Thanks for the heads up. That Cubanita book just HAS to be fiction...LOL. Cubans are convinced we're inarguably superior to every other group on earth.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Joke, you're back!! I'll let you know what I think of Cubanita after I read the other books on my bedside table...one about Rome's architects and one about Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis...

lcbbrvxu: don't they know this is my blog? can't they give me easy word verifs like abc or xyz?