Thursday, December 29, 2005

Show and Tell catch-up: treasured art


It's Thursday night and I'm usually scrambling to take S&T pics. Tonight, however, I put together my new Target purchase: a lamp! (to replace the one you saw in last week's S&T) and am now downloading some "catch-up" S&T pics. It's Thursday night and I'm usually scrambling to take S&T pics. This first one is Charles, a painting that has made me want to recreate it my entire life and has given me a fascination with branches, a fascination I share with Babelbabe. People always assume Charles is some well known artist. Truth: my parents paid $8 for it at or in front of a Kmart soon after they got married. As the oldest, I call dibs on it.
This one is one I inherited from my grandmother. It is a print of a painting that I think hangs in the Met. It has always been in the room that my parents slept in when they visited my grandmother, and been a favorite.


One may not load, though...we'll see. Y'know what, I need some popcorn!! Oooh, it loaded. This is a still-life that I drew when I was in 5th grade. My parents won't hand it over, so it's theirs till they die. Luckily, I get to visit it often. My teacher was Mrs. Drown, and she wrote me a personal note on the back. She is the granddaughter of one of the stained glass artists for the National Cathedral, where my dad is a docent (tour guide).

2 comments:

blackbird said...

beautiful.


I am amazed that you did that still life in 5th grade. AMAZED.

Sarah Louise said...

Me too. I wish I had the discipline to draw more now. I could never do that now!