Friday, December 23, 2005

Books Books Books (15 things Sarah Louise says about them)

From Babelbabe>Gina>Joke>Badger...

1. I re-read books, especially when I'm under duress. My copy of Dicey's Song got me through many a tight spot into high school, college and beyond. I like books about people who are worse off than I'll ever be: the hero in Bright Lights, Big City. Right now my "comfort book" is Eat Cake, by Jeanne Ray.

2. Movie vs. Book: I often like both equally and sometimes like the movie more. I see the movie as another translation--I get to see the director and screenwriter's view, which is often different from my own. I always say that Kevin Sullivan did L.M. Montgomery a great service when he filmed the Anne of Green Gables series. He went too far with the last one, but Anne of Avonlea is a much better film than the books he compiled (Anne of Windy Poplar, etc.). Movies and books that are both on my favorites list: About a Boy (Hornby), Persuasion (Austen)

3. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Harry yet--I was a children's librarian at least a year before I read the books. I had to get them in audio, in case I didn't like them. (I don't feel like I have to finish a book I don't like, but often an audio will do something to grab me that the text can't). I adore Rowling's writing and hope she continues writing after she is done with Harry's #7. I listen to them all on audio. Jim Dale is amazing!! I retain more since you can't speed read an audio book.

4. Audio books in general: my favorite is Jacob Have I loved (from which my alias is derived). I have listened to it over 20 times. I have listened to Anne Lamott’s Traveling Mercies over and over and over and over. Jay Leno’s autobio is a must listen!

5. Most of my friends are also avid readers, and some of them have become friends as a result of book related events/places: Babelbabe and I had coffee after hearing Margaret Atwood, which cemented our friendship, and from 1994-2000, all my boyfriends either worked or were customers at Fox Books.

6. My organization system is based on frequency of use: my dictionaries are above the computer, my fiction is in the bedroom, my biographies are in the stairwell…I need more bookcases…

7. It’s a good thing I don’t accrue fines as a librarian because I constantly have at least one or two items overdue.

8. I collect books and videos about hockey. I got turned on to Hockey in 1997? A guy in my Bible Study was rejoining the CMU Club Hockey Team and we all went to support him…I kept going for weeks after. I have since become a Guins fan and will be very sad if Lemieux and co decide to leave da Burgh oh right, we’re talking about books!!

9. For almost a year I was working on developing a web site that would promote and sell chick lit books. I love most chick lit, except the snarky ones like Sophie Kinsella. My favorite chick lit…hard to say, but I really liked Honeymoon by Amy Jenkins.

10. My favorite book related memory (aside from my dad sitting in the red chair reading The Big Orange Splot to my siblings) is when my sister read Julius Baby of the World to me, over the phone.

11. I prefer Children’s and YA books. My favorite YA is of course Dicey’s Song, but My life as a girl is in the top five.

12. Authors I have met and have photographs of: Kevin Henkes, Madeleine L’Engle, Cynthia Voigt. Met only, no photo: Peter Sis, Richard Peck (while sitting at a lunch table at ALA Toronto) Authors I have seen in person: too many to name but the notables include: Katherine Paterson, John Sciescza, Petra Mathers, Margaret Atwood, David Sedaris. Authors whom have sent me actual (not form) letters in response to my letters: Cynthia Rylant, Cynthia Voigt, Paula Danziger (it was covered in stickers), and before she was famous, Caroline B. Cooney.

13. Authors/illustrators I would like to meet: Stephen Gammell, Cynthia Rylant, JK Rowling (duh!), Katherine Paterson, Kathleen Norris, Nick Hornby…and many others…

14. My favorite vacation was the year I took about eight books to visit my parents in Brazil, among them the Wizard of Oz, The Three Musketeers, Better than life (translated from the French, how could I have missed that?)

15. My real addiction is magazines.

2 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

http://jeremydenk.blogspot.com/2005/12/holiday-cheer.html

has a great list of holiday gloom or cheer books, "pick your poison."

Hope said...

Dicey's Song is on my book shelf too and I special ordered Eat Cake from the library after you mentioned it here. I read it in one sitting and I liked it. Did you know there is a company in Manitoba Canada called Lillyfield Cakes that sells cakes in those boxes with fresh flowers? I want one of those cakes one day. Jacob Have I Loved is a wonderful book too. I love all her books.