Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Home sweet garret

Alright, I'm back, and I can't believe no one loved my coat or at least was amused by my lamp solution. There's a comment box, so use it!

I came home, turned on my computer and it promptly crashed. I set it back to an earlier "save" point but unfortunately that date was before the date when I updated my virus control. It's a bruhaha that I will save you from.

And now it's the time I thought it was when I was awoken with a wrong number. So I'm phoning BB and getting some breakfast and off to therapy!

Here are some previously unpublished snippets:

insomnia snippets:

We had a lovely matinee of the Narnia. Some parents hadn't realized how scary it would be...so we had a four year old chatterbox Cathy...alas. But I loved it, it was such a wonderful movie. When it was over, we all clapped. We are in a golden age for children's cinema, I think--we all clapped at the end of Harry Potter 4 too.

I see symbolism, yes, but not a Jesus/Father=Aslan translation that so many of my Christian brethren seem to want to peg. I'm in there that these are wonderful stories that EDUCATE the larger more beautiful story, but allegory, no. Pilgrim's Progress is an allegory. It is word for word meant to symbolize the pilgrim's trip to heaven, ie the Christian life. Narnia is just a good story told by a guy who happened to be a Christian, and while the story does emphacize good over evil, anyone who wants to analyze it more than that will have this in their ears when they talk to me: la la la la, I don't hear you! My mother said, but it is allegorical, yes, mom, it has qualities of an allegory. My sister, dogmatic as ever, said I'm sure I've read whatever research you have and blasted into a full story of the Magician's Nephew, with spoilers, but what the heck, now I want to read that book. As I say often to dear Bep, TAKE A CHILL PILL.

Lewis himself didn't want to create didactic 1=1 stories, but stories that spoke to the fairy tales he loved as a child. (see Surprised by Joy) Tolkien too. (no, I still haven't read LOTR, but I've read the criticisms...) Lord save us from the parents who think Narnia is going to make their children better Christians (and hence bring four year olds!!)

I am grumpy and insomniac...I wonder what else I can grub up to eat...cold mashed potatoes. I wish to be in my own kitchen where blindfolded I can find a spoon. Here I find knives, forks, ah, yes, a SOUP spoon...oh here they are, the normal size spoons.

A list, for blackbird: 5 signs it's time to go home: (from DC to Pgh)


  1. You start checking when you can go to a Penguins (hockey) game and think, ah, the one against the Washington Capitals looks good! (Go Pens!!)
  2. You have a discussion with your mom about your future which ends with you in the bathroom.
  3. You have a discussion with your dad about money (ie your future) which ends with him saying "I don't want to be your Jiminy Cricket"
  4. You have a discussion with your dad about your cholesterol (which by the way is great!)
  5. You think of last year's tsunami as happening when you were in DC so you want to go back to Pgh where you don't listen to public radio news programs. (And when did American Public Radio become American Public Media????) or read the Washington Post or any newspaper.

I regret that I didn't get more sibling time, but as we are two families (the SL+parents, then the Irish twins+parents) I often get more parents time than siblings time when I visit. A sad commentary on something, I'm sure.

Also, I took lovely pictures (few, but lovely) which I will download when I return HOME!!!

1 comment:

blackbird said...

Oh! NO!
I did leave a comment loving your coat and wrote about the lamp as well...
DAMN THAT BLOGGER!