Thursday, December 22, 2005

Sarah Louise's Favorite Christmas Movie

Home Alone, is by far, my absolute favorite Christmas movie. My Aunt Hilda, who died a few years ago right before Christmas, gave it to one of my siblings one year. I now own my own copy (I had a moment a few moments ago, I couldn't find it!) (But it is now safely in the VCR and I'm listening to previews for Wallace and Grommit)

I spent years listening to the soundtrack...now, finding that in this apartment will take some time, and since I have the actual movie on and I plan to start packing soon, I'll keep typing away.

If I had the DVD, I'd find the scene where Kevin says, "I'm not afraid anymore."

"Hey, I'm not afraid any more! I said I'm not afraid any more! Do you hear me? I'm not afraid any more!" [Old Man Marley approaches Kevin and stares at him - Kevin runs back inside, screaming like a maniac]

Kevin just did his "When I grow up and get married I'm living alone!" tantrum. I can't believe imdb doesn't have it in their memorable quotes. I don't really want to join imdb--another password to remember, another online identity to keep track of...

So why am I telling you about my favorite Christmas movie, on the 22nd of December? Because this week I had a moment. Well, actually, more than a moment, I had a two days, a changed url, a new online name, and a new profile pic. I was living my own created nightmare. I was 24 again, dating a man I haven't spoken with for at least eight years. Last night on the way home, my friend Emily listened to me kvetch. I came home, had a rum and cherry soda, a crab cake, the rest of the banana bread loaf from one of my co-workers, wrote the last post (the one about Christmas music) and then tried some personal writing. I found old diaries from college, and finally, exhausted, I went to bed.

It's amazing what going to bed at 10 will do for the soul. I woke up and discovered that I am still Sarah Louise, and I am not afraid anymore. I will be a little more careful about my Christian name being connected to my blog, but I will not hide behind a rose colored curtain. So, if you couldn't find me for a few days, welcome back!

(at the moment, Kevin is celebrating that he "made [his] family disappear!")

(and now, he is sliding down the stairs on his sled)

(his mom just realized she forgot him.)

Mom: "What kind of a mother am I?"
Uncle Frank: "If it makes you feel any better, I forgot my reading glasses."

"For weeping tarries...but joy comes in the morning..." I'll have to bug Lilly again for the scripture reference.

And now, off to prepare for Christmas...

4 comments:

Joke said...

Psalms 30:5b.

You're welcome.

-J.

BabelBabe said...

i have always preferred the KJV. in this case: weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in ther morning.

Joke said...

It's from this passage that PG Wodehouse--the single greatest writer in the history of English--derived the title of one of the great Bertie/Jeeves books: Joy in the Morning.

-J., more of a Douay-Rheims type

Sarah Louise said...

The sequel to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is Joy in the Morning, I imagine, from the same source. (Betty Smith)

I may have to try some Wodehouse...

fogdgv: foggy day verses...