Friday, December 30, 2005

books books books (mostly children's picture books)


Well, it happens once in a blue moon--I am barcoding children's books. So I'll amuse myself and you by commenting on them...


  • Apple Pie 4th of July--a FAVORITE!
  • Alphabet under construction--Denise Fleming, who I saw this fall at the Fall Festival of Children's books. Her books are not "illustrated" per se, but papermade--as in, she makes the paper with the illustration on it. Oh, I'll find a link that explains what I mean. It's very cool.
  • The finest Christmas tree by Hassett: very cute. Pictures are painted, remind me (sort of) Grandma Moses. It's cute but trite.
  • Cold Paws, Warm Heart--I'm sorry, I don't think it's all that great. A girl warms up a lonely polar bear by giving him a hug. Even the illustrations aren't hot stuff...
  • A is for Artist: an alphabet--THIS TAKES THE CAKE!!! It's British (hence c is for colouring) and absolutely wonderful!! For instance: N is numbers, nest (and it's a nest made out of numbers!) The worms in the birds' mouths are numbers 1, 2 and 3. If you don't look at another picture book this year, this is the one!! I want it!!!! Hands is particularly beautiful. And why would a 34 year old woman want an alphabet book? Because this is the most creative book bar none that I've seen come down the pike. I have to move on, but CHECK this book out!!
  • Unrelated DVD moment: Herbie Fully Loaded!! I was on the holds list for months--and my voice is squeaky like a mouse, "It's finally here!!" Hate me if you must, but I love Lindsay Lohan. I am also a big Herbie fan.
  • Unrelated book moment: a philosophy book on unrequited love called Loves me, Loves me not, the ethics of Unrequited Love. Since I feel like the poster girl for this phenom, I thought I'd see what Laura Smit had to say on the topic. I didn't realize it's actually also a Christian book. I am very much looking forward to reading this...
  • back to kids bks: Curious George gets a medal--my favorite CG book! I love it when the room is filled with lather! Also I like the chicks with the mom hen on page 17 when George is getting the pump from the shed. Also, my keen librarian mind has determined that our copies are on the wrong record. When a paged book is on an unpaged record, one wonders. Also, I measured, and all the copies are 27cm, not 19!! No one will die, but it is nice to have books on the correct record.
  • OMG--these books are adorable: Bing! Paint Day, Yuk, Get Dressed, and Something for Daddy: in which a sassy rabbit deals with getting dressed and having an accident, painting and making all the colors brown, deciding he doesn't like tomatoes, having a time out....the books are smattered with phrases like "it's no big thing" and "it's a bing thing" which I imagine could get old, but at first glance, these books are honest (which kids appreciate) and funny (which we all appreciate.) I would look at these before you go out and buy them as a gift (gift books shouldn't be about having accidents and not liking tomatoes unless you are REALLY good friends) but I would definately think about checking them out at the library. Also, the pages are durable (ie harder to tear) and the books are the right size for small hands. Ted Dewan is the author/illustrator, who was just shortlisted for the Kate Greenaway Illustration award (okay, I read the bn.com reviews, so sue me!)

I'll publish now...more later, mayhap.

No comments: