Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Sarah Louise goes to the theatre for her Christmas songs...

Well, BB's done it, Joke's done it, and I gotta do it too: it's the Christmas song post!

When I was sitting on the couch enjoying my cherry soda and rum (Yes, I'm done with my pain meds now!!) I heard this one, and I couldn't imagine that I didn't know what show it was from. It was so familiar to me...but I've never seen Mame!

For we need a little music
Need a little laughter
Need a little singing
Ringing in the rafters
And we need a little something
Happy ever after
We need a little Christmas now

It sounded like it could be from Annie (that's a New Deal for Christmas) or Hello Dolly (which happened entirely in the summer).

It's funny, I don't even love "Dominick the Donkey" but last year, like "Baby, it's cold outside" it was everywhere, and it doesn't seem like Christmas without him.

And yes, I liked the Christmas Shoes song, but when it was a country song, not when it had that chorus of children at the end, I agree it is horrible now.

There is someone on some station--it's ohmygosh Focus on the Family!! But it was a woman comedienne describing Betsy Ross as the first Martha Stewart. I mean, I expected it to be WDVE--which I'm sure I'm listening to now, with Jerry Seinfeld talking about late night infomercials and the Ginsu knife...

Now here's a rousing tune, "The Boys are Back in Town." Maybe, instead of prepping my life for Christmas I should watch "The Knight's Tale" again.

"I'm having a Blue Christmas" should only ever be sung by Elvis. "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" can be sung by anyone. And I do love that silly Hippo song. I heard it last week as I left Target after having dinner with bobbie.

Bells will be ringing...their sad sad song, oh what a Christmas, to be alone, Please come home for Christmas, Please come home... which I know by heart (well almost) because I own the soundtrack to Home Alone (the first one) on cassette!! It is the best Christmas album I own. I wonder where it is...

Now, how can two stations be "Pittsburgh's official Christmas station"? And how come Vince Valiant sounds like a thirteen year old girl? (All I want for Christmas is you, made famous to me on the soundtrack of Love, Actually.)

What do I want for Christmas? Peace. Whirled peas, a piece of quiet, and a ticket to the movies!

No comments: