Sunday, December 11, 2005

My life is becoming a blog conversation... (she writes instead of grooming for a party)

This is a direct quote from me on BabBab's blog concerning the whole Target/Planned Parenthood Bruhaha. Anything in [] is new to this posting. For the record, I am Pro-Life but I think abortion is a pretty personal thing, (it's one of those things I'd rather not discuss, right up there with bunions and ulcers and football.) As a rule, I don't like discussing politics, because well, I'm not good at it and it doesn't interest me that much. Quote starts here: I *have* stopped going to Citgo, [this refers to a the fact that they are connected to a South American dictator.] but I pretty much refuse to refuse to shop at places because I disagree with their politics. [I prefer to go to stores because I like their merchandise] I hate the idea of becoming a sub-culture. I want to be out there in the marketplace. As a Christian, I know a lot of people (some who are friends) who *are* entrenched in sub-cultures, don't listen to the radio or news or music unless it's on the Christian station, don't watch a lot of TV, won't read certain authors, etc. When Jesus said "I have come so they may live life more abundantly" (John 10:10) I don't think that's what he was talking about.

I've never been the kind of person who only had one kind of friend. As an adult, most of my friends don't know each other because I have met them all in different contexts. I firmly believe in the proverb that says better a friend that is near than a brother who is far. I am, as Barbara Streisand sings, "a person who needs people," and I am grateful for each one of my many friends. I probably disagree with each of my friends on at least one thing that would be a deal-breaker in a life-long mate, but most of my friends are women and married (definate deal-breakers right there) and I'm looking for a single man. I'd rather be friends than be careful. If you want a good children's book on this, read A Bargain for Frances, by Russel Hoban. The thing I like about this book is that Thelma and Frances remain friends at the end.

Right before this, Frances has turned the tables and tricked Thelma.

"Well," said Thelma, "from now on I will have to be careful when I play with you."
"Being careful is not as much fun as being friends," said Frances. "Do you want to be careful or do you want to be friends?"
"I want to be friends," said Thelma.

This is the credo I live by, and it has worked most of the time.

Oh look, it's snowing!!

New things: I have added my yahoo email to my profile. If you have info re: Boston, want to buy my shoes (I don't think I'm selling), or are too shy to "comment online," that's what it's for.

4 comments:

Joke said...

I love having friends who disagree with me on politics, religion, film, menswear, TV, what wine goes with what, automatic vs. stick, etc.

Life is more interesting that way. I think God wants us to love each other regardless and going outside your own sphere of thought is an excellent way to do this.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

I'm learning...

(says the girl who hates confrontation)

BabelBabe said...

Hanging out with people who disagree with you is enlightening and fun, most of the time. It's how I learn best.

But then I enjoy a nice heated discussion : )I don't see it so much as confrontation unless it's someone who hates me for no reason. Like mean salespeople.

Joke: Stick, man! Is there any other? (See, SL, this is how it's done : ))

Joke said...

BabBab...whaddaya want? An argument? My car is not only stick, it's unsychronized stick, so you have to do this three-pedal twostep.

-Cotton Eyed Joke