Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Marian the librarian rocks!

Marian and I went to the lunch counter at the local drugstore today. (I love the North Hills for being so old fashioned!!) She suggested the new name, "Pink Sneakers N'at" which solidly places it in the Pittsburgh realm of things, while being a short and distinctive name. Go Marian!

Unshelved, my favorite librarian comic strip, is sent to me via email each day. Right now they're doing a series on blogging, which is fun. From their blog, I gleaned this link, in which Scott Adams deconstructs comic strip humor to a formula. I'm still not sure if Scott Adams is the Anti-Christ, but at least I can stand to read Dilbert--I think I've changed more than he has, which is a little bit scary...

I read somewhere that women have journals, while men have blogs. While it rankled me, it sort of makes sense--I think women are more likely to write whether or not they have a cool link or have just read a great book, whereas men seem to focus more on saying something when they have something to say. It reminds me of the play Trifles, which I read when I was at Carlow, in a class on American Plays. (I loved the classes at Carlow!) The focus is of a murder investigation, which the women figure out by looking at the canary while the men are stumped and the men say oh women just think about "trifles." I had to read it three times before I figured it out--that's the difference between reading and seeing a play, I guess.

Baby, it's cold outside. Funny, how songs cycle through--last year I heard that song almost daily and this year is I think is actually colder and I haven't heard it once. Maybe I was listening to more of the Christmas songs until it's Christmas radio stations last year--I've been listening to more of WYEP lately, although last night the DJ was fawning over something like, Chemical Brothers which I had to change because, well, it was too wierd for driving home music. I couldn't believe it *was* YEP the other day when they played "Wedding Bell Blues"--I thought my radio buttons must have been messed up. Their range is broad, I'll say that.

Well, it's almost time for me to get off this desk...I should have been working on my staff year end evalutation and instead...oh well. This afternoon I'll be watching Elf with the teens. Depending on how well it goes, at the end of the day I'll be saying I get paid for this? or I get paid for this? (the inflection and smile or lack thereof can't really be expressed via a non-audio blog post.)

Walk the Line--a great flick. I love the book Bright Lights Big City because my life could never be that crazy or horrible and yet it ends sanguinely. I feel the same way about WTL--I doubt I will ever wake up from a stupor in the woods and see my dream house in front of me, but I have to say, that is a moment of going from the bottom of the barrel to the beginning of the top of the heap. Why do I like bio-pics? So I can say, if they did all that and look where they go, look at me, I'll be okay. (I remember a former boss being aghast at my description of why I like BLBC, but it works for me.)

No comments: