Sunday, March 04, 2007

Have they lost their minds?

Trying something--to see if Blogger will let the title be underlined so folks know it's a clickable link...

I wonder if I have. I was yelling at Kleenex boxes, railing over the radio wasteland, and making so much noise that my darling sister came to find out what was wrong. She diagnosed it correctly: PMS.

"Do you want a hug?" I did.

Yesterday was a full day. Hard work, too. Sis and I went to our favorite used CD store (which now sells used DVDs) and we each spent an hour picking and then sorting to get to what we would actually buy. I never go shopping extensively at home (in da Burgh) because, well, it's more fun to GO with someone. We spent most of our money at the CD Cellar, and so our next stop was a nice sized thrift shop, the Clocktower. I got a great coat (well, my mother calls it a jacket, because of its length) for $4 (it was 50% off).

Then we went to the drug store, b/c I didn't plan ahead for this trip in terms of cold remedies. And since what I had is a Walgreens label item, I couldn't find its twin at Eckerd. I wanted Guaf+Pheno-whatever and I could only find this with Dexo (a cough suppressant) (which, I guess I did need, but I was trying to get less drugs, not more!) So I finally got a Tylenol product that had all of the above and some Tylenol, which I needed, as my head was pounding (probably from my congested sinuses).

Then we got home, and I had to admit to my mother that I didn't have any dressy clothes (our plan was a French restaurant for dinner and then the new movie, Amazing Grace.) She lent me a jumper, a turtleneck, a half slip, and nylons. Oh, and a lovely necklace.

My dad was late coming home from the funeral of a former co-worker's wife, and the tension was palpable. I took a nap (or tried to) anyways.

Dinner was nice, the movie was WONDERFUL, and by the time we were done, I was more than exhausted. I mean, shopping, dinner, a movie, that's a weekend for me, MAYBE. Not ONE DAY!! Little Miss Introvert needed some down time, and unfortunately, while sleep does accomplish that to some degree, it does not fully.

************

The title link is to an article from Christianity Today, about how folks criticize their reviews. It prompted me to write this post, in which I defend what some might think are poor viewing choices. Most of the movie links are CT reviews, except for the SATC, which is from Christian Century.

But I really want to talk about movies. Not Amazing Grace, which was wonderful. I want to talk about Hollywood--the Hollywood I love. And if I love it, I cannot turn a blind eye to its flaws, but admit that we live in Rome. Rome was full of people living reckless, decadent lives. I probably should read more about Rome before I use it as a comparison point, but this is today's post...

What I'm trying to say (badly, I admit) is that there are a lot of movies out there that I love. That I cringe to say that I love, to a degree, because I don't agree with the all the morals portrayed within.

The Holiday: Cameron Diaz's character gets drunk and propositions a man she has just met (who turns up at her doorstep because he's drunk and her doorstep is actually his sister's, as Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz's characters have swapped homes for two weeks.) But what follows is an honest look at relationships and what role fear plays in staying or leaving. So I can't throw out this movie just because its characters make decisions I might not make.

Sex and the City (yes, it's come to this): I do not condone Samantha's, Charlotte's, Miranda's, and Carrie's promiscuity. But they are honest about life, (even if their wardrobes lie) and the plight of unmarried women. And their ultimate choices are good ones. This is not a show that you can watch one episode and make a snap judgement on. More to come on this.

The Sweetest Thing: I am embarrased to say I loved this movie. I bought it for 77 cents at the library bookstore and have watched it at least five times. It is lewd, it is horrible. But it is FUNNY. Again, it is honest about the life of the single woman.

Because I said so: EVERYONE panned this. The Christian critics and the non-Christian ones: Stay home, was their mantra. I loved this movie. I laughed more than I have at a movie in a long time, and the best part (yes, a SPOILER) was the cake falling on the guy's head at the end of the movie. Mandy Moore slept around (with two men) and her mom at long last found love. But Moore's character was the most self-assured single woman I have seen on the silver screen for a long time. A single woman who taught classes at the senior center on how to cook gourmet for one? I need to take that class (says the woman who eats frozen food most nights of the week.)

Other movies that fall into this category (movies about unmarried women):
  • West Side Waltz (a real think piece...very good!)
  • Wedding Bell Blues
  • Picture Perfect
  • While you were sleeping

    My point: (did I have one?) if I only went to movies like Amazing Grace, I would go to the movies once a year.

    I am 35, so many years beyond the rating system (PG-13, R, etc.). I do not have young children. I am old enough to know what my decision is regarding the sexual morés of the day: post-marital sex. But that is a decision I made after a lot of broken hearts and a lot of soul searching. It is not a decision I made based on the movies. I don't make decisions based on the movies. The movies are entertainment. I may learn something, but that is not the reason I go to the movies. I know the difference between real life and Hollywood.

    Thankfully, I can say, "I choose to watch this." Or not. I finally have given up on Crossing Jordan, which, now that NBC has quietly laid to rest Studio 60, (or not, see link) there's really nothing for me to watch on TV. I like mysteries, and I enjoy the whodunit qualities of CJ, but the shock value is going too far for me, and I don't like that Australian journalist that keeps showing up as a love interest for Jordan.

    So that's today's soap box.

    All that to also say this: we each need to know our weaknesses. My mom hates any movie that has extra-marital affairs. She did not allow me to watch soap operas in high school. So I watched at friend's houses. (I don't think that's what she meant, and I knew it...)

    A lot of people I know (why do we live our lives based on the opinions of others, or write entire posts defending our taste?) will not watch Desperate Housewives or Sex and the City because of the immoral lifestyles portrayed therein. I have only seen like three episodes of DH, so I can't comment there. I don't turn a blind eye, but rather say, there are pieces of this that are wonderful. I do not want to be Carrie. I have been in her shoes in some ways, in my twenties. I would never want to relive that heartache that comes from misunderstandings about sexual relationships. But I also can see sex as a metaphor. In so many movies (which are a standard two hours to signify two years or two decades) a kiss is a metaphor for "we have gotten to know each other."

    I can't read bodice ripper romance novels. Which is why I love chick lit--there's still the romance, but less sex. I love Hiassan, but I can't read his mysteries for adults. Which is why I hope he continues to write more like Hoot, which I loved. (I'm looking forward to reading Flush)

    It's my blog. I get to ramble about what I want to, and it doesn't have to be in good taste or grammar or well written.

    Oh, and I watched Vanity Fair (Reese Witherspoon)--it was a visual candy store!! Am now reading my sister's copy of the book. Has anyone seen Monsoon Wedding (the same director)?

So I skipped church. I'm going tonight (which is what I'd do if I was in Pgh) and the 'rents will be home momentarily from Sunday School. Sis and I have both had nutritious (albeit frozen) lunches.

8 comments:

Caro said...

It sounds like a good weekend except for the sick part.

KitchenKiki said...

I have to say I enjoyed Sex & the City. I saw all of the 6 year run in the past 2 years or so. Usually while working on a project and I had the girls to keep me company.

I don't look at the lives of Carrie and friends being about only 4 women because I know that it isn't. There are dozens of women & men who's experiences and sometimes imaginations were adapted and edited into these 4 people. They were such distinct personalities, but they were all archetypes of the characters they portrayed.

I enjoyed the show because I could laugh and cry about things I or a friend had lived through that were similar (but not nearly as extreme. So the bittersweet of these 4 women that represented dozens (or every woman).

I don't think I really had a point to this post. I'm really quite tired. and just a little melancholy for my youth, which Sex & the City kind of reminds me of. Minus the great shoes. (and some of the trashiness)

Amy said...

Just this Sunday, in Sunday School, when our pastor provides us with questions and we are to get with someone we don't know and discuss those questions, he asked what our favorite book and favorite movie are. I didn't want to answer because I'm afraid some of my choices would be frowned upon by the church crowd. I completely agree with your post, and there are many movies and books that I simply adore but I would not promote the ideas expressed therein. There is more to be taken from life's experiences than just immorality.

I hope you're having a great time at your folks'!

Amy A. said...

I loved Because I Said So, too! And yes, I've seen Monsoon Wedding years ago but remember liking it.

I do have kids, so I feel more weight in what I choose to watch. With a teenage girl, it's hard because I want to set standards and I don't want her to think that making out or sex on the first date is a good choice, but like you said, it is sometimes metaphorical, but I'm not sure that she would get that.

I am definitely not a "Only Christian media" kind of gal. We do have to live here and need to know what's going on, and so many times the Christian label means sub-standard production values. Which is very sad to me.

ok, now I'm rambling! You've given lots of food for thought, there.

Sarah Louise said...

kk, a, aa: In case you haven't noticed, this is one of my "broken record" soap boxes. It's one I pull out and work on a lot. It's good to be in conversation, to look at what is/isn't good...

C: yes, a good weekend except for the sick part.

BACK IN THE GARRET, NOW, WOOT!

SL

jenny said...

sounds like you're enjoying yourself...excellent.

I loved Monsoon Wedding. A beautiful film.

Katrina said...

I enjoyed the article you linked. It really gave me food for thought. I'm still chewing on it. :D

I linked it on the community blog of our local paper, too. I think it's very well-written and insightful.

Sarah Louise said...

K: Chewing--kewl! I'm still working on it myself.

SL