Thursday, October 06, 2005

Memento mori

I just found out one of my writing teachers from college died two summers ago. We're just about to "close" on my grandmother's house, so I'll probably not see it before the new owners move in. Friends of mine just bought a house of a guy who died. This guy was a shop teacher and so a lot of his stuff is related to building or cars, etc. It reminded me of all the stuff that used to be in the basement of my grandmother's house--Grandpa died my senior year of college and Grandma just died in December.

It's wierd--I even got the issue of "Pitt Magazine" that listed her as "in memoriam," but I'm not used to reading that page for Pitt. I'm still young enough...yet so was she...only 2 years older than my dad is now! (She was 65!). I'm considering going back to school either for writing or for seminary and if I did writing, I'd be back at Carlow, where there is now a Pat Dobler Writing Center in her honor. Wow.

I'm not sure what the focus of this post is, or if it has one, but I just needed to get that out. Tomorrow I'll be talking to some folks at the Seminary to see if it's what I want to do, but a writing program that makes you go to Ireland for 11 days? I don't know if I could resist...

No comments: