Monday, October 17, 2005

Elizabethtown, Cameron Crowe, and Fred Rogers lyrics...an unlikely trio, but that's why you read this blog!

So finally. First, let me say that depression sucks. Literally. It sucks the living out of you. Luckily, I know how to cope: restaurant therapy, retail therapy, cell phone therapy, visiting friends, and the best stuff: sister love. My sister and I talked for like 7 minutes tonight before Medium came on and I feel so much better. Not great, mind you--hormones coursing through my body, exhaustion from life, lonliness, etc, etc, put wear and tear this feeble heart, but good enough to write this post.

My sister doesn't go by her given name (I try to give people pseuds on this blog since I use one) so I'll tell you her name is Elizabeth. I actually helped pick out her name, which is another story for another day. But the name of the movie is Elizabethtown, which of course endears me more to this movie. What I liked about this movie was that I could tell it was a Cameron Crowe movie--I've watched Jerry Maguire enough times, I've seen Almost Famous a smattering, and Say Anything twice. So here are a few elements of a Cameron Crowe movie:
  • a great soundtrack, hands down. The kid wasn't writing for the Rolling Stone magazine at 13 for nada--he knows music.
  • The executive that's hit rock bottom.
  • An airplane scene. A few airport scenes. A stewardess.
  • Weird family dynamics. Coming home to family.
  • A road trip.

It was a movie with actresses and actors that I knew I'd seen before but I couldn't place them--where have I seen Kirsten Dunst? Okay, so I never saw Spiderman 1 in the theatre. (I saw #2 at least 3 times on the big screen, but did I mention depression? Memory is one of the faculties you lose.) And no, I have not seen all the LOTR movies (or any actually) so Orlando Bloom is not this mythic figure to me. The movie had the same magic feeling as Big Fish and the same tribute flavor of Garden State. Now, my sister loved Garden State. I thought it was okay, but I didn't ADORE it. But Elizabethtown is a lot like Garden State, except that Garden State is about the kid and his mom just died. Elizabethtown is about his dad. It actually is a tribute, as the credits roll, you read "In memory of James Crowe." Anyways, whenever it's convinient, go see this flick. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll say "It was better than Cats!"

Which you probably won't say about this post, but who gives a flying fig? I did it, I said I would, and now I can go to bed. You better believe we are all super glad that Sarah Louise doesn't get suicidal. When I say, "sleep, perchance to dream," I'm talking about and then you wake up in the morning.

What is it Mr. Rogers says? It's such a good feeling to know you're alive.
It's such a happy feeling: You're growing inside.
And when you wake up ready to say,"I think I'll make a snappy new day."
It's such a good feeling, a very good feeling.
The feeling you know that
I'll be back when the day is new
And I'll have more ideas for you.
And you'll have things you'll want to talk about.
I will too.
It's such a good feeling, a very good feeling.
The feeling you know that we're friends.

yeah. The icons in my life: Fred Rogers, Cameron Crowe, Charles Schultz. (well the male ones at least. The female icons: Ellen DeGeneres, Goldie Hawn, Cynthia Voigt. Of course, there are many more, but if I could only name 3 men and 3 women, that would be my list for today. People that can make me cry, laugh, and think. Because if you can't do those, it doesn't matter. When I was looking for cards for "You're Home, Emily!" (Tomorrow!!) I saw one that encapulates my view on life: A day without laughter is a wasted day.

And if anybody comments on how my life is empty without LOTR, so help me, I will come out of that computer and hunt you down.

Goodnight.

2 comments:

BabelBabe said...

remember - you can never go down the drain...

Sarah Louise said...

Is that a Fred Rogers allusion?

kwolmex: a new zealand/traditional (ol') mexican restaurant, OR your handy word verification...