Sunday, September 18, 2005

Peter Paul and Mary and the guys


Tonight at the Open Door, Peter Nevland did our music. His guitarist is Paul, and the guitar is Mary. I had a chance to hang out with them later, at BJ's favorite watering hole, the Sharp Edge. I always want to call it the Sharper Edge--I think because there was that store that had amazing massage chairs called the Sharper Image.

Peter's style is amazing--singing mixed with poetry and he dances with his hands and his mind...I bought a CD for my brother. I'll of course listen to it first...

I am ever grateful that God has brought me into this band of pilgrims called the Open Door. We talk about the hard issues and no one shuts each other down--at one point I was the only female, and I brought up an issue that we had been talking around and someone took it up and turned it around--it was like our conversation was a pot of clay and we all were getting our hands dirty trying to make it into the best bowl it could be. My life is a life of women and children--librarians are mostly female, and my other two positions are mainly dealing with childcare issues, so it is a rare treat for me to even listen to men talking. To be considered on the level, a participant in the discussion, was beautiful. I am in awe of the caliber of men that I know right now. Thanks, guys.

(The picture is one I used in a collage we made about the mission statement of the Open Door. Water is often connected with the Spirit of God, so I used this photo for "Spirit-Led.")

4 comments:

John said...

it's great to have you around. your addtion to the group is always welcome, we love having you. belonging is such a difficult thing sometimes, in my life I've often felt like the outsider in groups of people. I'm grateful that I don't with the Open Door.

Oh yeah, it's Nevland, Not Neville :)

John

bj woodworth said...

the gift is you, thanks for being authentically you

bj woodworth said...

the gift is you, thanks for being authentically you

Sarah Louise said...

John, Thanks for reminding me of the correct spelling (which I just changed).