Friday, September 09, 2005

Musings on FRIDAY!!!

Oh how I love Friday, let me count the ways...
  1. I have tomorrow off (a rare treat) and I'm going to Storywalk and then a goodbye party for a dear friend.
  2. Sunday is almost here!
  3. Monday will be over before I can blink (Monday will be sooo busy for me)

I think it is so poetic that Ophelia was a hurricane, wandering the coast, has now been downgraded to a tropical depression, but may pick up power and become a hurricane again. It reminds me of when I went to see the Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged) a great play that tries to cram all of Shakespeare into two acts...I was a randomly from the audience picked Ophelia, which was tons of fun.

Today I vowed to not turn on the Today show, because every morning when I do, I flood my mind with more images of the wreakage. I couldn't resist, though, and was pleasantly surprised to catch a segment on Today throws a Hometown Wedding, where they were showing the couple the hairdo the bride got to wear in the wedding which airs live next Friday. It was exactly what I needed, just girl-y fun.

It also occurred to me, as I was sitting in my thinking chair, this morning, that Sunday is September 11. We've all been so caught up in Katrina that we haven't had a chance to contemplate 2001. A lot of times, people write really lame children's books to commemorate something big like 9/11. I have to say that there are at least two great books about 9/11. The first one, The man who walked between the towers, tells a story of a tightrope walker who put a rope between the two towers and, well, walked between them. It's based on a true story that happened in 1974, when the towers were brand new. The other book, September Roses, is also based on a true story, of two women who came to NYC from Africa for a flower show that was scheduled for September 11, 2001, and was cancelled. They came with their roses and the book chronicles what they did with them...it is so beautiful, and not at all cheesy, partially, I'm sure because it really happened. (I have to admit I love it when I can put keywords into the Barnes & Noble keyword search and the book I want is the first item.) (It must be a librarian thing.)

Housekeeping: I now have links!! I intend to add more....very exciting. Today I'm actually going to take a class on blogging because I think it would be cool for our library to have a blog for the children's department.

Gotta shelve...we are so behind!!

No comments: