Saturday, September 17, 2005

Just like heaven....

West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River. Life is old here, older than the sun, da da da da da da da dum. Country Roads, take me home, to the place where I belong, West Virginia, Mountain Mama, take me home, country roads... --John Denver

Reese Witherspoon is one of my favorite actresses, and tonight she did not disappoint. I went to the movies (yes, alone, and I don't care who knows!) to see her latest movie with Mark Ruefelo (Thirteen going on Thirty). Oh it was so great! I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats! I had the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. It was beautiful through and through, and the ending was...just like heaven. It actually reminded me of Sliding Doors, another movie where a woman is living in two realities. The best preview for a movie I'll probably not go to: Uma Thurman falls in love with a man ten years her junior. Her therapist encourages it, but lo and behold, it turns out it is the therapist's son. A little too strange for me. I don't generally like movies with therapists...they are so often so stereotypical. The first one with Billy Crystal...Analyze this, that was good, and Freaky Friday (the 2003 version) is great, but in general, I can't watch them. What about Bob? was recommended--I was grateful I got it free from the library. I don't think I'll ever watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest...and I also decided today to give up on Joanne Harris' latest tome, Holy Fools. I thought it would be good--a former circus performer now turned "heretical" nun, living in an abbey in 1610. But bring in her former lover and the power struggle and the revenge just isn't worth it. I mean, I have at least 3 tapes left (yes, it's an audio book) and I am sick of it! I didn't like the way she ended Chocolat, so I'm not sure I trust her to end this one well...I don't even think I'd go to a movie of this book. I mean, if I want an angry audio book, I'll listen to the Nanny Diaries (which I also have out right now.)

Oh my--DSL can't come quickly enough--I can't even hear the audio on the movie website (click the post title, it's a link!) Apparently Verizon has my line now, but I still don't have the DSL stuff (you know, those things you hook on your phone jacks.)

Talked with my mom--she wants to see my blog, asked if I posted any poetry. "You used to write nice poetry." So here's a poem, because it's getting to be fall and I'm still on that friendship theme, and because Ma asked.

(That is, if I can find it...) Which at the moment, I can't seem to. It's called "your friendship hand" and I wrote it as a freshman in college. It's here somewhere...stay tuned. Right now I think I'm going to try to re-scan my profile pic.

Ciao!

1 comment:

Sarah Louise said...

Oh, it's "almost heaven, west virginia..." oh well.