Monday, September 05, 2005

Blogging...

I really don't want this to be just: this is my life today, this is what I did. I have a "tag" to catch up on from babelbabe, but I think I want to dredge some of my "paper blogging" from my vackay.

Here's one:

I'm from the backyard at 311 Washburn, before you get to the rabbit hutches. There are clothes hanging on the line, which my father disapproves of greatly. No one I know lives there now, the place is full of memories, though...of Uncle K.'s jukebox and his buckets of 45's. Christmas pictures taken in the basement, the pictures taken two years before Grandpa died at Gradma and Grandpa's 50th anniversary. They won't be at my wedding. Neither will Uncle K., the one male that I could count on to tease me about having or not having a current boyfriend. I won't be able to dance with him--my father will insist on "Sunrise, Sunset" (Is this the little girl I carried?). I'm from broken down ball bearings and my tense shoulders. I'm from the me that cannot sit with the people that are as broken as me.

Aug 23 My parent's 36th anniversary!!
Teaching my mom the value of libraries. She was going to call 411 to get a phone number and I told her to call the library. (Although the city of Pittsburgh libraries will no longer offer this service.) She didn't know it costs like $2.00 to get directory assistance on a cell phone. Our library thankfully still considers this a valid reference question. This is being written (originally) longhand, I just found out we can't get online. I write longhand less and less--a friend of mine does everything longhand first and I find that kind of romantic--I'm just so bound to my computer. There is a connection with the pen and the paper and the hand that you just don't get when you type on a screen. Of course in the HP books, everyone uses parchment and quills...

We went to a talk on Monarch butterflies. I took 4 pages of notes (mainly b/c that's how I pay attention). More on that later.

Make new friends, but keep the old; Those are silver, these are goldd. New made friendships, like new wine, Age will mellow and refine...

Am re-reading Duplicate Keys by Jane Smiley, a wonderful thriller that has a librarian protagonist. It reminds me of While I was gone by Sue Miller in the "communal living who did the murder" theme. I love these two women writers, though not all their books are favorites. These two would make my "list," though.

Here's a horrible quote from Stalin that could describe how it could feel when we get overwhelmed with Katrina: One death is a tragedy; a million deaths are a statistic.

On the up-side, the Open Door is going to get to help out with 30 families that will be transported from N'Orleans to Pittsburgh for temporary housing at the Pittsburgh Project. I'm excited that we can dig in and really help!!

Here's one from Nitcka (Nietzche, I mean): "You must have chaos in your heart to give birth to a dancing star." I wonder if that applies to my apartment....

This is one I've been re-reading each time I open my book of quotes: "Borges said we only make one work in our life; we just give it different names." Gonzales Palma in Radio Taxi

As Samuel Pepys said, "So to bed."

No comments: