Friday, September 16, 2005

Greeting Cards and Lipstick



When I was in Mary Kay, one of the things they always said was that even in hard times, women will buy their lipstick so they can look nice. This devotional from a Purpose Driven life expounds on that, talking about N'Orleans women who are going to get their hair done.

The other item that is "repression-proof" is greeting cards, and I stand testimony to that--I make my own more now but I am always tempted to purchase cards for friends when I'm in the grocery store. Yesterday's Circuits in the New York Times referenced an article about stationery and the "lost art of letter writing." I have a friend from high school who over the course of more than 15 years we have kept in touch by letters. Often we write letters on the fly and then mail three in one envelope. Her latest PS on the envelope read: Quite possibly the mail's equivalent of "cleaning out the fridge." For years, we lived by "no blank space," decorating the envelopes or if we ran out of time, writing in big letters NO BLANK SPACE. I cherish her letters and am grateful that I have at least one friend who uses stationery and gel pens. My stationery is more often white or yellow legal pad sheets from notes I write haphazardly as I'm doing other things.

It's important to have extravagances--life can get blank without them. I indulged in watching parts (but missed the vows--was on my walk) of Today Throws a Hometown Wedding. Hopefully my friend Tivo'd it.

Have a good Friday!! Here's another friendship quote: A friend is a gift you give yourself. (Robert Louis Stevenson)

No comments: