Thursday, April 03, 2008

I stayed in a really old hotel last night. They sent me a wake-up letter.*

After reading Katrina's comment on my last post, I want to make it my goal to have a non-letter writing reader (just one) write an actual on paper with a stamp letter. (Sorry, you'll never hear me call it "snail mail.")

But first, this awesome video from Wonder How To:



Emergency Lamp Made From A Can Of Tuna - video powered by Metacafe


Of course, I have a package that needs mailed (yes, that's Pittsburghese grammar there) and has needed mailed for MONTHS, so I better not preach what I cannot do. Hmmm, I wonder if it's a ten minute walk to the P.O. (I am in this study where I should be walking 25 minutes 5 days a week. I walked 20 minutes yesterday at the end of lunch and the endorphins all afternoon were AMAZING.) (Looking at that sentence, I think, wow, what a bizarre person I am. Partially because XP does not recognize the word endorphins as I have spelled it.) Ah, but Blogger does!!

And yet, I continue to sit here...

Street cleaning started this week, which means my car is parked halfway down on the other side of the street. Which has nothing to do with letters or getting off my rear.

Email has sort of replaced writing letters...but Lorelei refuses to correspond that way, so our once every three months (if we're lucky) letter or once every two years (if we're lucky) phone calls are how we keep in touch. I am grateful for email, as I know I'd never get an actual letter from my sister. Also, email can be two lines. Are we really going to spend 40 cents (how much is first class?) to say "Thanks for getting the notebooks"?

However, I currently have two emails (maybe three) from authors, and part of me wants to write them an email to say, can I have your address so I can send you a letter and you'll send me one back? Because yes, it's true, I have a file folder (or a very large envelope) somewhere in my abyss (the walk-in closet that is now tidier now that Sally and I decluttered it, looking for a library book that still remains on the lam) with actual correspondence from authors.

Okay, I think I need to do something about breakfast. I have two hours til lunch, some pre-tax research to do, and I'm still here talking to yins? (Granted, I slept late--I have had a persistant sore throat all week that I think must be allergies b/c it isn't acting like a cold or strep...)

You see how I can't stop writing?

Oh, well, since I'm still here, let me tell you about the books I've recently finished:
  • Skinny Dipping by Connie Brockway. Oh wow! Wonderful!! I wasn't able to really "get into" her first foray into the "contemporary romance," Hot Dish, but I eagerly await her next one.
  • Things I've learned from women who've dumped me. Fascinating. Yeah, I can tell my verbal skills are at their all time high this morning...my favorite one was about a guy wrote about how getting a dog didn't save the relationship. He's in some band. Sorry, the book is in the other room and I apparently refuse to get off my duff. Nick Hornby wrote the intro.
  • Riding the bus with my sister (again.) I love this book. And am grateful that Babs did not, as I got the copy she had. Woo! Apparently that is the extent of my review.
Okay, exactly two hours and three minutes til lunch, so I am getting off this chair and starting my day. Watch me start. Yes, I am really... (cane reaches out from the curtains and SL disappears...)
_____________________
*Steven Wright

1 comment:

Holly said...

Pittsburghese, eh? That'll be the new thing I've learned today. I love letters so very much.