Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy Bard Day!

Dear William,

Just received your letter about your new play. Something about ham? And you want to know if Pittsburgh would be a good setting? Well, Pittsburghers do love a cold cut called "chipped ham," but I must say if your main soliloquy is that "to be or not to be," you have picked the wrong town. This is the town that invented "that shirt needs washed." Even migrants like myself often forget to use the words "to be" in conversation.

I recommend Denmark.

Yours,

Sarah Louise

Happy Birthday Sweet William!

Ah, my mistresses eyes... (Sonnet 130)

And does anyone else remember the Northern Exposure episode where Maggie reads Sonnet 116 at a funeral and the blonde chick says, wow, I didn't know Maggie wrote poetry!

4 comments:

Holly said...

Haha! :)

Katrina said...

Heehee, that was hilarious! And that is, hands-down, my favorite of Willy's sonnets. I always giggle when I get to the reeking breath. Happy Bard Day to you!

Badger said...

Up in OH we called it chipped chopped ham (or chipchop ham, if you're a member of my family), and you can NOT get it down here. So sad.

Heidi Renee said...

badger beat me to it - i always thought is was "chipchop ham" (which makes me shiver just thinking about it).... ewewwwwwwww....