Saturday, April 15, 2006

Were you there?

Once upon a time, I was at a service where one of the old Spirituals, I think it was "Were you there?" was played on the bells. I commented to my Dad, "that is so wrong!" For a song like that, you need altos and basses, slowly singing plaintively, "Were you there, when they nailed him to the tree? Sometimes, it makes me want to tremble, tremble, tremble. Were you there, when they nailed him to the tree?"

Easter, for me, is one of those holidays. Christmas I almost always spend with my parents, because in college we would get three weeks vacation, which allowed me the time to travel to whatever far flung destination they found themselves: Warsaw, Poland, or Rye, New York. Thanksgiving I generally spent with aunts and uncles. Easter, since it was just a Sunday holiday with maybe a day off on Friday or Monday, was usually celebrated wherever my mailing address happened to be. In my first two years of college, I was often invited to my friend Pam's house, to spend the day with her family. I remember one year, my junior year in college, it was my first year at W- College in Chestertown, MD, and after church, we went to lunch at the dining hall and that was it. Back to the books. I felt cheated. Here it is, a holiday more important than Christmas in the main scheme of things, and I am sitting in a dorm room, with the spectre of papers to write. My parents were in Rye, New York my senior year of college, so I think I made the trip to be with them. Or maybe not. I had changed churches and was a part of a 24 hour prayer vigil Thursday night at the Presbyterian church in town.

So where I spend Easter is very important to me. A few years ago, I became Catholic. Well, you become Catholic on Easter, at the Easter Vigil service, which starts at sunset. So I stayed in Pittsburgh that year. Last year was the first year I celebrated Easter with the Open Door, and I think my parents just understood that I wanted to be with my friends and my community for this special day. This year, I had Mother Daughter book club today (no one came, but it was on the calendar, so I had to show up) and it is the OD's first Easter at our new location at the Union Project.

For me, Easter is not just the eggs and the chicks, pink bunnies and chocolate. It is a time of real mourning, of real reverence. Lent is a time of contemplation. This year, I had a notebook that I started when Lent began. In the front, I copied out a quote from Soren Kierkegaard, "So now, with God's help, I shall become myself."

I am beginning to realize that being a part of a community is also a discipline. Going to services that don't feed where you are is a part of the suffering of Christ. Thursday's service was too happy for me. But it opened a wound that needed to be opened, and it gave me a chance to realize that I had been depending on my community to fulfill my inner needs. Needs that only Christ can fill. So I had my own tenebrae service, where I lit all the candles I own, and read Walter Wangerin's short story, "The Ragman" by candlelight, exstinguishing candles until the only light in the room was that of the Christmas lights that I have lit year round.

In the days of wine and roses, when I loved being at Bellefield, the pastor there had the heart of a poet. He played the saxophone, sometimes in the middle of a sermon. He was not great at some of the other things, and through a bunch of stuff I'll probably never understand, he was voted out. But he oversaw the best preparation for Easter that I ever attended, Thursday Tenebrae services. He would read "The Ragman," and members of the congregation would read passages from the Gospel story. After each passage was read, more lights would be extinguished. I remember twice, sitting there in the dark, at the end of the service, just crying. Tonight's service purports to be liturgical. I am in the throes of hormonal distress, having slept 16 hours yesterday and needing bland foods and ThermaCare hot pads. I'll go home from work, stop off at the Big Bird (Giant Eagle) and get some spuds for my famous potato salad for tomorrow's after church brunch. So I'll pray for the service to open my heart, but I'll pray for my heart to already be open. For my need to not be met in the sacraments, but in my own heart.

Part of the gist of the movie Lady Jane (which is now on the list of my top ten movies) is that in the Reformation, there are not seven sacraments but two. That a person can come to faith without the help of the church and priests and holy water. I know now that I need both: my community and my own heart, bleeding as it may be.

This entry goes all over the place, and I do not claim to offer any answers, only more questions. I am writing this on borrowed time (since no one showed up for Mother Daughter, I'm using *that* time to write this, and I need to get back to cataloguing DVDs) and I'm not going to edit. But I guess I'm trying to wrestle with this: how do we work out our faith, in fear and trembling, on our own, within a community. Christ was alone on the cross, and there will be times when we will be alone in our suffering. But he also gave us the Church, his Bride, so that we could live with each other.

So I offer this post up to you, and to the One I serve, poorly, and with a broken heart. May we each find the joy and pain that this Pascal season affords us.

12 comments:

blackbird said...

I come from such a different place -
but I appreciate this post...
thank you.

Erin said...

Beautiful post, SL. Thank you.

Sarah Louise said...

Yeah, so, um, due to alcohol...
(I'm allergic to Advil, so a beer was my pain reliever of hormonal distress--no I did not also take a Tylenol, for any doctors/nurses out there)
so, I had a beer with my salmon at dinner (my freezer was part open Friday night, rendering dinner at home Saturday a pipe dream)

anyways, I was asleep for the 9:30 pm service. Alas, like the disciples, I couldn't "tarry even an hour"!

But I'm awake now. So HE IS RISEN, HE IS RISEN INDEED! Happy Easter, all!

Anonymous said...

I almost started to cry when I began to read your post because the hymn you quoted is the one I associate most with Good Friday. I wasn't able to go to services this year and I so missed hearing that sung.

I have to read and reread this several times.It is so beautiful and contemplative and just what I needed to hear. I've spent too much time whining about community when I should be focusing on my relationship with the Lord.

Joke said...

Like BB, I come from a very different place (different from BB, I'll wager), but I appreciate the post as well.

You may (then again, you may not) be somewhat surprised that I didn't have too much in disagreement with you.

My "need" for community is so, so, so, SO very different from yours. (As in the thought of "community" gives me the heebie-jeebies...I'm a lone wolf, by nature.) But regardless how each of us may feel about community we are all aclled to live our faith within that envelope.

This is because community requires different things from different people at different times. Some people need community to avail themselves of God's infinite mercy, and others need that same community so that via them, God's providence might be distributed.

If you want to look at it this way, we are all links in a chain. Each link has two and only two functions and it must perform both of these equally well. It must hold the link below it and all its weight AND it must also not let go of the link above it.

So it is with us.

Therefore, rejoice, for Our Saviour--mine and thine--hast Risen.

-J.

P.S. Although I am one of those who prefers all-chant all the time, I must admit I LOVE that old spiritual.

Sarah Louise said...

And, as a choice to be a part of my community, I now spend the rest of the day by myself, whereas if I had gone to visit my parents I would be...thinking about the drive home. Instead, I think I'll do what Jews do on Christmas: go to the movies. I've heard good reviews on "Thanks For Smoking." The Easter service was wonderful--the singing was divine. And everyone loved my green dress. I'll try to take pictures.

Joke said...

Don't take pictures at the movies, they'll kick you out and take your camera.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Pictures of my green dress, you dork!

And the movie was good. I recommend it.

That is all.

BabelBabe said...

What Blackbird said.

Happy Easter, SL.

Coffee this week?

Sarah Louise said...

The concession stand ladies had bunny ears and gave me two hershey kisses to go with my medium cherry coke.

lazy cow said...

Lovely post. My faith is so much shallower than yours (I know I shouldn't be comparing!) You really made me think about what is important. I've made the first tiny step back towards God by attending church semi-regularly, now I need to do all the other, harder stuff, like open my heart.
Thank you.

Joke said...

"...and all these things shall be added unto you."

;-)

-J.