Thursday, April 20, 2006

I luv ya, Black and Gold!: List Friday

Loretta wants to know why we love where we live. List 10 reasons. Ten, I scoff! A mere scratching of the surface of why I love this city in which I live, but here goes:

10 reasons I love living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (not in any particular order)

  1. WJAS 1320 radio, WYEP 91.3 Independent Public Radio, Saturday Light Brigade on CMU radio, 2 country stations, Bob-FM: radio wasteland we are not!
  2. The Primanti’s Bros. Sandwich.
  3. The Open Door at the Union Project (walking distance from my house) and all the other great missional emergent churches going on in da Burgh!
  4. The Pirates, The Penguins, and yes, the World Champion Steelers!
  5. Hills and rivers.
  6. Sandcastle: it may be 5 hours to any decent ocean beach, but the water slides and the boardwalk fries can help you imagine you’re at Atlantic City.
  7. Highland Park, the best park in the city, walking distance from my house.
  8. Tazza D’Oro, the best coffee shop, walking distance from my house.
  9. Babelbabe’s house, walking distance from my house.
  10. My lovely garret—10 years with no increase in my dirt cheap rent and a skylight, divine!

Bonus round:

  1. Mr. Rogers was from here. (When I went to see the movie, Joy Luck Club, he was in the audience. I didn't see him, but a friend told me.)
  2. IKEA is 45 minutes from my house.
  3. The song says "I left my heart in San Francisco," but I left mine in Pittsburgh.

Oh, and the natives talk funny, n'at.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm - are you coming to Bethlehem and bringing one of those sandwiches??

Sarah Louise said...

Oh, I wish I were! I have a prior committment for that weekend, so I won't be coming to B-hem for Blog-her. I will be there in spirit. Maybe I can get Babelbabe to take a Primanti bros. sandwich...