Friday, April 14, 2006

Thanksgiving on Good Friday--a family tree of Bloggers...

First, let me get this out: It's Good Friday and my apartment appears to be the site of a tsunami attack, my bank isn't open (it's a credit union) (don't get me started!) and I have to have $ in my account by Monday to file my IRA contribution, and I think women should get extra money, you know, for heating pads and other "time of the month" supplies.

********

Okay. So this is a pretty secular post for a most holy day, but I'm feeling crappy (see above) and so I'm just taking inspiration from bobbie, one of my favorite blog-people. She's going to to a blog family tree, like how did you get started blogging, who inspired you, etc.

The first person I knew that had a blog: Babelbabe. I was insanely jealous. I read it and the madness began. (That was like January 2005.) The first person that made me think having a blog was an easy enterprise and something I could do: Jessamyn West. She came to our library's Staff Day, and I started my blog almost the very same day. I named it "Pink Sneakers and Pocket Books." Over this whole time, Marian the Librarian was a cheerleader, having her own virtual world with some friends from college.

My first entry was on May 21st, 2005. I wrote it before I went to work. Around this time, John and BJ were thinking about blogs, and I knew that Alyssa already had one. Reading the Blogger Blog, I found the link for a concert pianist who had a blog and he became one of my first outbound links.

Through Babelbabe, I met Joke, Blackbird, and other wonderful bloggers, including Badger and Poppy. In November, bobbie and I had dinner. Then she moved to Canada!! In December, I decided I would go to the PLA conference in Bahston in March and Joke and I started communicating via email. He has become a dear e-pal, with a lot of "older brother" wisdom. He has an uncanny knowledge of the Scriptures.

For my birthday, in November, I got a digi camera, the same one as Babelb, so that I could participate in Blackbird's weekly "Show and Tell." Here I met some other folks that I sometimes converse with: Lazy Cow and Mrs. Pom (who, when S&T moved to Thursday at the start of the new Survivor season, started "List Friday.")

I had a panic attack sometime before Christmas, when an ex-boyfriend googled me and found my blog. I shut down and changed the name a couple of times, but within two days, I regained my sea legs and returned, with the current name, Pink Sneakers N'at (n'at being a Pittsburghism meaning "and that.") John kindly said, "But we love your blog," when it looked like I was going away.

In January, I was at a party and a guy came up to me and said, I read your blog, it's good. I phoned a friend in South Carolina and he said, I read your blog. So I kept writing, for those who comment and for those who lurk. For a while, my sister Beppe and my best friend Susan were regular readers and commenters, but their lives got busy and I miss them! (Coming soon--a post highlighting the fun I had while spending time with Susan and fam in New England, complete with pictures of the EZ Bake Oven opening.)

In January, I also started corresponding with Erin, who runs the Biscotti blog. She and I are on very similar paths it seems. Oh, and in October, I met Marlaena, who works at a church in the South Hills, but we've fallen out of touch. Life gets busy!

In March, I blogged for the PLA conference, which was fun. (PLA=Public Library Association.) I got to see Jessamyn, always a plus, and meet some other bloggers.

There's more, of course, but I can see your eyes are glazing over. Anyways, it's been fun, it is fun, and I thank everyone who has encouraged me along this road.

Because of blogs, I have read books I otherwise wouldn't have (am starting the first Sherlock Holmes!), forged friendships with people that live 37 states away (it's a Joke joke), and entertained myself and countless others. (Over 10,000 page views!)

Thank you, and good night! I'll be here all week (and for a long time after that...)

10 comments:

Erin said...

Yes, a good long time please :)

And I loved reading Sherlock Holmes...

Joke said...

Yah huh!

And I always liked being miserable on Good Friday.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Miserable on Good Friday: I was feeling icky all day, my *wonderful* supervisor said, "Go home," which I did, and I feel asleep in front of the movie Lady Jane around 4:45, woke up at midnight to take meds, tossed and turned and woke up not happy to get ready for work around 8:30 am.

Joke said...

That's racking up all kinds of points in your favor.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Care to be a little more specific on that? "all kinds of points?" for whom and for what?

Joke said...

The summary of the Monarch Notes of Cliffs Notes of the thing is that the Catechism teaches suffering (under "the right dispositions")has a redemptive, salvific aspect to it.

It is, quite specifically, one of the spiritual works of mercy.

I'm guessing that suffering on Good Friday is like a Triple Word Score thing.

so...you're good!

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Triple Word Score...I did think about Blessed Julian of Norwich, who asked to be afflicted with some disease in her 33rd year, just so she could participate in the suffering of Christ.

Joke said...

Hey! You catch on FAST!

-J.

lazy cow said...

Oooh, thanks for the mention! I like this blogging family tree and am going to steal it :-) It's fascinating to see how people find each other.

Sarah Louise said...

I love the connectedness of the Internet...and grateful for it. There are some days when this family over the 'net helps me deal with my family over the phone or in the flesh...