Thursday, August 02, 2007

A little bit better...

Woo hoo! Yesterday's breakfast, lunch, and dinner stayed with me!

No matter that I have a wicked stomach ache right now, I think I have crossed the blackout point!

There is comfort in having that conversation with a friend, the conversation you hate to have, but you know you must, or you will never keep down another meal, and that friend says, Bingo! (In agreement.)

Bingo is my new favorite word.

***********

My parents, non-readers most of the time, have been reading Blue Like Jazz. Which makes me want to re-read it, even as I am so enjoying Dinner with Dad, Piano Girl, and...

I pull Blue Like Jazz off the milk carton shelf it sits in, one of the last vestiges of my college furniture. The cover is embossed--I don't think I noticed that before.

I flip it open to the Author's Note.

"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.
After that, I liked jazz music.
Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.
I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened."

I put the book on my pillow, with the intent to take it with me, perhaps as I sit in Tazza before meeting John this morning. I will be walking home from Midas (my car is going in for its yearly inspection.)

Max is reading About a boy, and enjoying it. It does something to have recommended and lent a book to someone and they tell you they're enjoying it.

The first of three (I think) Open Door babies was born on the 31st! Welcome Ian! So yes, it is raining babies. But they are so very cute... It feels nice not to want one right now, though. I can enjoy being Auntie Sarah Louise.

**********

Last night at our Breaking Free Bible Study, it was just Kelly and I. It's a video study, and years ago, I had watched the video for last night's lesson with Kelly. I had forgotten most of it, except for this: Beth Moore was telling the story of when she was signing copies of her first book. All they could find for her to sign copies was a huge garbage can lid. And she felt it was a reminder that she had been in the trash for so many years. She had been in the trash can, but she never was trash. But that God was the one that took her out of the trash can.

Kelly and I sat for at least an hour after the video, her sharing about her time away, me sharing about my time here. How precious it is to have such a friend. We both have so far to travel...but we are traveling, side by side.

Oy! look at the time! I must go off to Midas.

5 comments:

KitchenKiki said...

Have not read About a Boy, will add it to my list. Just read The Wedding Officer, I liked a lot about it. It had everything: Food, Love, Sacrifice, War and the occasional Italian phrase that I tried to read aloud just to try.

I love the fact that I can request books online from the library & they send me a note to pick it up.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a library tangent.

Heidi Renee said...

at our new church they say "bingo" instead of "amen" - it's an old joke, but came from not wanting to be "old fashioned" but still give support when someone hits a good note - so every so often you hear someone yell out "bingo" when someone's speaking - it always gets a good laugh.

Heidi Renee said...

oh, and i'm so glad you're feeling better!

Sandy Stover said...

i'm reading blue like jazz right now. i started it on the plane this morning. it seems pretty good so far.

maybe on sunday we can try that walk in the park again?

Sarah Louise said...

Kiki--library tangents I love (Hello! I'm a librarian!) I love that I can request books online and they show up on my desk!

Heidi--I love that!! Amen! I mean, Bingo!

Sandy--I'll have my people call your people...

xo,

SL