Friday, August 10, 2007

"I just want to be alone" (Greta Garbo) (with one more quote)

So I have one week until vackay with the family. I hope to do a lot of things BY MYSELF, as in ALONE.

Nothing personal, I just had a week of jampacked-ness. It was a lovely week. I spent it with my friends, and they are all lovely people. But I did more in the past seven days than I did some months this past spring...

Sunday I had coffee at Tazza with a friend. Then I rested for a bit, went into work, and then came home and slept. Monday, I went for a walk at 7:30 with a friend. Then I went to therapy. Then I came home, showered, and went to Sandcastle, with a friend.

Tuesday, I worked. Max called me at work to say he'd gotten home (he went away for the weekend) and when I got home from work (it's so strange that "home" is the same address for us, BUT SEPARATE APARTMENTS) we went for a walk, and then hung out for a bit.

Wednesday, I had lunch with Marian the Librarian, ran some errands after work, and went to Bible Study at Kelly's. Thursday, I ran some errands, had lunch with Babelbabe and Katy (Babs and I had never met Katy before: she is very nice.) Then I went to work. Marian and I had dinner together. Then I came home, Max and I had Italian Ices, and hung out for a bit, because today he went dahn Sauth to visit family and then take a road trip through Canada and back to da Burgh. So he'll be gone for two weeks, so we'll be getting back to da Burgh about the same time.

I think I'll get a manicure after work tomorrow. I haven't had one for a long time.

For some reason, the line from the movie Home Alone just came to me "When I grow up and get married, I'm going to live alone!"

And of course, the line from Jerry Maguire, where Renee Zellweger says, "And I can see this is a time when you need to be alone, to think about stuff. Alone, alone, alone." And Tom Cruise says, "Would you like to go out to dinner?" And RZ says "I know of a great place!"

Tonight it was just lovely to drive to Taco Bell (I have got to start cooking again), listening to A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (which I am still loving), and then coming home to finish watching Metropolitan. How I love that movie, let me count the ways...cha cha cha.

So I read some of your blogs tonight, but commenting just seems too sociable. So if you're looking for me, I'll be in a cave, reading or something.

I guess I need to figure out which books I'm taking on vackay...

Oh, and Friday is the Second Annual Stuffed Animal Sleepover!! It feels great to not be stressed about it.

**********

one more quote, for good measure:

"Jeff's life in the tenth grade year became suddenly crowded, with people he liked, with things he wanted to do. Sometimes he caught himself protesting to himself: life is too rich...Life is so rich, Jeff said to himself, gratefully." (from A Solitary Blue, by Cynthia Voigt)

6 comments:

Katy said...

I know you want to be alone, but thanks for saying that I'm nice! I had lots of fun, and getting together with you and BabelBabe was the highlight of my time in Pittsburgh.

Enjoy your alone time!

Caterina said...

Alone is good.

But friends, you have friends. Isn't that better? And family, isn't that the best?

My friends have disappeared. I like reading about yours.

Sarah Louise said...

Hee...and so I say I want to be alone and I get not one but TWO comments overnight!

Katy--the pleasure was all mine. It was so fun meeting you. We'll have to get together again. (I love Chicago, but I don't have an excuse to get me there yet...)

Cat--you can be my friend and I'll be yours. Friends are great, and so is family. I guess I've gotten so used to being alone that all of a sudden it's beyond smorgasborg.

What I'm grateful for is that my life is in seasons. This week was a busy season. This next week I get to hibernate.

Erin said...

sounds like life is good for you now... :)
So great to hear!

Katy said...

oh SL, there must be a reason to come to Chicago. We have lots of libraries. Maybe you need to scope out the Newberry or the Harold Washington? Southwest flies from PIT to MDW and there is plenty of room in my apartment to set up an airbed and have a guest. But the fries in Pittsburgh trump all fries in Chicago.

Sarah Louise said...

Oh, I think Chicago is my kind of town. We'll tawk.